Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Tandem nursing with one child sick?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 8:06 AM
  • 5 Replies

Kind of wondering... if i let my daughter nurse (she's two, but does not nurse regularly. She still knows how to latch) while she is sick, will washing my nipple and areola with plain water be good enough to not get my 11week old sick? 

My daughter has had diarrhea-like poop for about two weeks, and now she's super congested, coughing like a dog, and getting raspy from the coughing and drainage. My poor girl. Going to call her into the chiro today, I hope. 

Anyways, I don't want the whole sharing the boob to make Memphis sick... 

by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 8:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
moroccanmommy
by Robin on Oct. 29, 2012 at 8:12 AM
I'd nurse them separate ...just wash good after. They both need the antibodies . Poor baby;(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rlambert6002
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 8:15 AM

I personally wouldn't be comfortable with a simple plain water wash. I would try a wash with something antibacterial like vinegar, diluted tto, etc. ....just rinse good before feeding baby.

LaughterHugs
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

i tandemed through the older being sick. i'd restrict baby to one breast and toddler to the other until toddler is well :)

ForeverInLove
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Mel wouldn't/won't nurse that often. That is, if she wants to nurse at all, lol. But, I'd very quickly either become engorged or lose supply in "her" breast...
Maybe I'll just pump and put it in her cup. I just know its better from tap. I'm taking her to the chiro at 2: 30, so he can put her on stuff the clear up and fight off tool.

Quoting LaughterHugs:

i tandemed through the older being sick. i'd restrict baby to one breast and toddler to the other until toddler is well :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Oct. 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM
I tandem nurse a toddler and infant and dont wash between feedings.
You naturally secreet a cleanser. They share loads of germs by being on the same lap, room area etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)