Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Maternity leave ends today :( Kinda long, sorry but I need help!

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM
  • 18 Replies

Sorry for the long post but I have to vent: UGH!  I go back to work tomorrow and I'm worried about my mom (caregiver) wasting BM.  She's already done it once, 5 oz. down the drain b/c she "forgot" to put it back in the freezer when I told her she wouldn't need it (before it thawed of course).  I've told her how much to feed A, given her the info about the 1-1.25 oz. per hour rule.  I even told her that when hubs practiced with a bottle a few times, since there will be times he'll be with her instead of my mom, that she only took 3 oz. and anything more she'd spit it up.  Last weekend we had a wedding in Michigan about an hour away and when I called to check on A she told me she took almost 5 oz and was still crying.  AAAH!  When we went to pick her up my mom said she had to change her b/c she spit up a ton and soaked her outfit!  DUH, you gave her TOO much!  She just won't listen to me.  I know I'm only working 2-3 days per week for 4-5 hours at a time but I'm stressed about it already!  I'm also worried about pump output and not being able to keep up. Sorry again about the length, just had to get it off my chest!  Thanks :)

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Just put the milk in 2 or 3 oz portions in a bottle and label them for approximate times. And give your mom printed out info on bottle feeding a bf baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjimaging
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:11 AM
When I took DS to daycare I put 2 oz in a bottle times the number of bottles needed for the time gone. That's all they got. Told them every two hours and gave them a schedule. If they burned through it they had to deal with him crying. They figured it out and he was fed every two hours his two oz I didn't give them backup even because they couldn't freeze it. I nursed right before I left, two hours later, bottle and the last feeding was two hours before I picked up, ideally. Good luck. Getting that through will be the toughest. I was fortunate to have good pump output but I made lactation cookies and made sure to drink plenty.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tia84201
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Quoting norahsmommy:

Just put the milk in 2 or 3 oz portions in a bottle
Did this part.
and label them for approximate times.
Didn't label for times bc I ran out of room in my freezer and sent it to her house b/c she has a chest freezer. And, I work at different times every day so I just feed A when I get to her house to drop her off then tell her to feed her again in 2 hours or she acts hungry. 
And give your mom printed out info on bottle feeding a bf baby.
Did that, even told her that the older A gets she won't need to take more bm bc it gets mor calorie dense.  She didn't get it.

CafeMom Tickers
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
If you're only gone 4-5hrs I would nurse as you walk out the door and leave a 2oz bottle and a 1oz backup and nurse the minute you walk in! My dd won't touch a bottle unless its been at least 4 hrs! With DH she usually takes 4oz in my 7 hr shift and then nurses like a fiend all night!
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:43 AM
This!

Quoting audmom1218:

If you're only gone 4-5hrs I would nurse as you walk out the door and leave a 2oz bottle and a 1oz backup and nurse the minute you walk in! My dd won't touch a bottle unless its been at least 4 hrs! With DH she usually takes 4oz in my 7 hr shift and then nurses like a fiend all night!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Jen on Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Honestly, if she didn't follow the feeding instructions I left, I'd find a new sitter.
justone_jen
by Jen on Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM
And yeah, I wouldn't leave five ounces. I'd leave three.
Tia84201
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM

i should clarify, it was a 2 oz bottle and a 3 oz bottle she left out, not a 5 oz bottle.  I had originally told her we were going to be gone for 6 hours then decided to only be gone 4.  She had set out 3 two oz bottles and a 3 oz (not sure why) and when I told her she'd only need 2 two oz bottles she said she'd put away the extra 5 oz and never did.  When I found it the next day she said she forgot to put it back in the freezer.

Quoting justone_jen:

Tia84201
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM

can't find a new sitter, she's free, can't beat free.  and we can't afford to pay someone right now.

Quoting justone_jen:

Honestly, if she didn't follow the feeding instructions I left, I'd find a new sitter.

justone_jen
by Jen on Oct. 29, 2012 at 11:08 AM
I was referring to the part where she got five ounces and spit up everywhere. I'd only leave three, so there wouldn't be an option to over feed.

Quoting Tia84201:

i should clarify, it was a 2 oz bottle and a 3 oz bottle she left out, not a 5 oz bottle.  I had originally told her we were going to be gone for 6 hours then decided to only be gone 4.  She had set out 3 two oz bottles and a 3 oz (not sure why) and when I told her she'd only need 2 two oz bottles she said she'd put away the extra 5 oz and never did.  When I found it the next day she said she forgot to put it back in the freezer.

Quoting justone_jen:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)