Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
We went to Eliot's dr a couple of days ago and he was diagnosed (prematurely I think) with failure to thrive. He is 5 months and 13#14oz. He was born at 8#2 and discharged from the hospital at 7#5. We have had issues in the past bc of an un diagnosed tongue tie but that was taken care of about 7 weeks ago. At his 4 month appt, he was 13#4. He has gained 10oz in a month.

Because of all this I have been keeping diaper counts and consistently he has 7-10 wets and 2-3 bms daily(sometimes green, sometimes yellow).   He is very active and meeting all milestones. He does mini push ups, rolls both ways, sits wo support, babbles, is alert and engaged, and can stand with support.

The dr is sending him to an ENT and then is going to do some blood work.

Our dr is very uneducated about breastfeeding and ONLY cares about charts and numbers. He is gaining consistently, just not as much as his ff counter parts. She just keeps repeating that he is falling off the charts. My mom went with me to the appt and when the dr mentioned formula, mom made the joke "Good luck with that! He refuses anything but a boob!" Also when she mentioned formula, I told her is we needed to supplement I have a freezer full of milk. She stopped talking then and said she was referring him to an ENT. She also seemed to insinuate that I was lying to her. "Well if what you say is true then he should be gaining well..."

We also went to the breastfeeding center today and she was pushing formula too! He ate about an hour before we came and she wanted to do the weigh, eat, weigh thing. While we were there he ate 3oz off one breast. I offered the second but he was full. The LC was claimimg that he wasn't eating enough. I said that he looked and acted satisfied and she said that he was used to being hungry.

I really needed some encouragement and support. Its really hard hearing a dr tell you your child isn't thriving, even though I know he is. It made me feel like such a bad mommy. I feel like no one is supportive and everyone just wants me to give him formula but I don't want to.

I know I have a good supply (hubby and I went on a date a couple of weeks ago and when we got back 4 hours later, I was engorged). I just don't know why he isn't gaining...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Replies (31-37):
NollynsMommy14
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this
You are such a great mother for knowing your baby, you know he is thriving, both of my children have low weights, but they meet THEIR OWN CHART that's what I love about my pedi is that she checks the weights from each time they come in, she builds their own lines for only them to meet, it has a comparison with the average of all the rest of the babies, but she continuously tells me, if he's increasing in his OWN chart than he's good. It's un fair when doctors compare other babies. As long as they have gained and continue to gain that's what matters. Even if they platue for a while, as long as they have the wet diapers they are healthy. Your right! Screw the doctors. You obviously know him best :)
MonicaV1982
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 2:20 AM
THIS! This ped is one that is likely to report to cps. RUN!

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

New doc ASAP!!!

He has gained MORE than expected!

A weigh-feed-weigh is only accurate when done over atleast a 24 hr period, baby will take in different amounts each time he nurses.

He is the complete opposite of failure to thrive, seriously mama.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyofSoso
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM
My daughter was the same way but her doctor said as long as she was consistantly gaining and seemed happy and healthy she wasnt concerned. My daughter was just a little baby. She still doesnt gain fast even though she is 2 now. Its just how her body is. I absolutely love my children's doctor! I wish everyone was lucky enough to have an understanding doctor like her.
Mrs.Sells
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 8:27 PM

since your LO is having frequent green poops, he may be getting too much foremilk which would also add to the weight issue. 

Eliots_momma
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 8:30 PM
They arent really frequent only about 2 a week. They are never foamy or frothy.

Quoting Mrs.Sells:

since your LO is having frequent green poops, he may be getting too much foremilk which would also add to the weight issue. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Sells
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 8:40 PM

They don't have to be foamy/frothy. If you do decide to supplement with your own milk, you could always skim the cream off and feed that to give a calorie boost. 

Quoting Eliots_momma:

They are really frequent only about 2 a week. They are never foamy or frothy.

Quoting Mrs.Sells:

justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 8:51 PM
But he IS gaining weight! Some babies are just small. Both of mine were 7.5 lbs (ish) and weighed 15(ish) at 1. Their doctor was not concerned for a second because they were still growing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN