Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ways to boost milk during pregnancy

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:03 PM
  • 8 Replies

I am only 4 weeks pregnant but cant wait to breastfeed this little one, I seriously miss it! I was only able to BF my little girl for about 3 months before I dry up. I would love to BF for longer than that this time.

Is there anything i can do during pregnancy like tea? and then post pregnancy as well?

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Nope. Milk production is triggered when you deliver your placenta. There are things that can help after you've delivered, but they're only going to help if you have a true supply problem.

Best thing you can do is educate yourself NOW, especially about milk production. Maybe we can troubleshoot why you had trouble before? Can you describe what indicated that your milk dried up?

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:08 PM
The delivery of the placenta triggers the cascade of hormones that will bring your milk in. There is nothing you can or need to do during pregnancy to cause milk to come in earlier. After the baby is born, nurse on demand and supply will rise to the occasion.

What happened with your first baby at that : month mark? How was it determined that you dried up? Any determination what caused your trouble?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:21 PM

The opnly thing you can prep is your head. 

While usually I believe looking back is useless, in this case it might be constructive to discuss the drying up from before. We have so often seen moms believe they weren't making enough when they actually were doing so, often enough to have named it Perceived Milk Insufficiency Syndrome.

Sign of drying up: Lack of dipes.

Signs of normal healthy baby who's getting enough: Fussing, crying, gaining or plateauing, wetting/pooping plenty, sleeping or NOT sleeping, nursing all the time or NOT nursing all the time.

Sign of mom with actual supply problem: She's not changing enough dipes.

Signs of mom with Percieved Milk Insufficency Syndrome: Pumping any amount or nothing at all, possession of baby with the "getting enough" signs above, mom with floppy soft breasts.

**grin**

About 99% of moms who think they aren't making enough actually have a case of PMIS. You may well be the 99%.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:23 PM
What they said! ^^^
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Nov. 9, 2012 at 5:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Sure there's stuff you can do while prego to help make sure there's a good milk supply when baby is born. Go to kellymom.com and read. Go to your local book store and buy a copy of "so that's what they're for" by Janet Torento (I know I didn't spell that last name right) and read. Learn as much as you can between now and when baby is born. Also what I did that I believe helped us all of those oh so handy formula samples that you will start to get in the mail, give them away. Do not keep any in your house, not even those small travel sizes they like to send out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Steamedpuddle30
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 7:51 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:20 AM

She got perfect answers, I am not sure why you are bumping

Quoting Steamedpuddle30:

Bump!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Maybe we can help ease yuor mind a bit...you dried up at 3 months? tell me about nursing? how you knew you were dried up? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN