Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Okay as most of you know I just moved to small town Iowa. My dh and I took our daughter to her 1 year check up. He is not very supportive of bfing past a year he thinks I should wind it down lol. Well the dr asked me if we have switched her from formula to milk. My husband butted in and said no she is still nursing. This nice male dr started smiling he said that's great keep going as long as you can. And told my husband how much healthier kids are when they are breastfed until they want to stop lol. I almost *&@# my pants. I mean I find a diehard probfing doctor in small town IOWA for real.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Replies (21-29):
aygonzales
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I have personally found older doctors are more formula dependant than younger ones. My older sons first pedi actually chastized me for not starting him on baby food at 4 months... I took him to a different doctor at 1 year bc his doctor was booked and he was sick. She is VERY young and VERY pro extended bfing. She didnt understand why he was pushing baby food so early and only asked that I give him 1 glass of whole milk per day so he would get his Vitamin D. Told me keep on bfing until he is done.

christineT79
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:12 AM

That's awesome. I love when Dr's say stuff like that. I think some (not many) Dr's can be super breastfeeding supportive & knowledgeable. I think that we spend alot of time bashing pediatricians for not supporting us breastfeeding but not all peds are like that. I love my ped. He wanted to see my hubby at my daughters first appt so he could talk to him about taking care of me while I breastfeed. I took my hubby & my 11 yr old step-daughter to my baby's first appt & he told both of them to take care of me & support me while I breastfeed. He insisted that I do nothing but breastfeed in the begining, no house work no cooking nothing but feed the baby. He is really big on asking me how I'm doing & telling me the things that alot of women go through when adjusting to motherhood. At every appt he asks how I'm doing, if I'm still ebf & when I say yes he says "good". It makes me feel good.

christineT79
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Quoting christineT79:

That's awesome. I love when Dr's say stuff like that. I think some (not many) Dr's can be super breastfeeding supportive & knowledgeable. I think that we spend alot of time bashing pediatricians for not supporting us breastfeeding but not all peds are like that. I love my ped. He wanted to see my hubby at my daughters first appt so he could talk to him about taking care of me while I breastfeed. I took my hubby & my 11 yr old step-daughter to my baby's first appt & he told both of them to take care of me & support me while I breastfeed. He insisted that I do nothing but breastfeed in the begining, no house work no cooking nothing but feed the baby. He is really big on asking me how I'm doing & telling me the things that alot of women go through when adjusting to motherhood. At every appt he asks how I'm doing, if I'm still ebf & when I say yes he says "good". It makes me feel good.

Ohh & he's also young. Around 35ish. Mabey they are teaching somthing different these days in medical school.

annaica
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:23 AM
that is great! my doctors in iowa havent been that knowledgable... where r u? i would love to help other moms here in ia find supportive docs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
junebaby11
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Thats great
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 9, 2012 at 3:18 PM
That is an awesome doctor!
Yes, there ARE some good ones. We just hear/read about so many of the bad ones in here.

Quoting christineT79:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lazycervix
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I live in Algona, IA

Quoting annaica:

that is great! my doctors in iowa havent been that knowledgable... where r u? i would love to help other moms here in ia find supportive docs.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
KSK0811
by Megan on Nov. 9, 2012 at 5:02 PM

That's awesome. Glad you have a supportive ped.

illegallyblonde
by Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:29 PM
Nice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)