Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

losing weight

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:59 PM
  • 8 Replies

I know most of you advise to stay away from the scale, but I like to keep track. Anyways, Last week she was 11#. today she's 10.6#. Diapers are fine. Is this bad?

by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Babies constantly gain, lose and maintain weight, based on a ton of factors. You need to look at the big picture, never just one weight to another. How old is the baby? 

Roisin07
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:04 PM

7 weeks. Shes been gaining 4oz a week for the past few weeks. she gained like 2 # within the first 2 weeks though.

piwife
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM
Are you weighing her at the same time, same scale no diaper?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roisin07
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I weigh her same day and same way. She has only a diaper on, but I change her prior to weighing.

Quoting piwife:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Well THAT is quite a head start. By "big picture", I'll tell you that they look for about a pound a month gain, average: some months may be more and some months may be nothing or a loss, but averages out over the year. 

Unless birth weight was 10 pounds, I suspect you got off to a huge head start.

Quoting Roisin07:

7 weeks. Shes been gaining 4oz a week for the past few weeks. she gained like 2 # within the first 2 weeks though.

piwife
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Everyone wakes up lighter. In the mornings I weigh myself. Am 120lbs by night am 123lbs.... babies are the same weigh they loose a couple of oz. Here and there
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I had an LC say you should weigh with diaper on (and tare off the couple oz for the diaper). If you take off a wet diaper, that's a couple ounces that were in the bladder a minute earlier and would have given you a different weight, of perhaps 4-6oz. 

Yes, avoid the scale. There is nothing to learn from the scale. Too many variables to paint any true story.

Quoting Roisin07:

I weigh her same day and same way. She has only a diaper on, but I change her prior to weighing.

Quoting piwife:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 9, 2012 at 3:58 PM

And if it's a home scale, it's not to be believed. Home scales can get messed up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN