Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First Time Pregnant: Breastfeeding Question!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 4:01 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hi, I'll make this short & sweet. I'm 22 years young and this is my first pregnancy. I've decided to breastfeed. My mother and older sister were not able to produce milk, therefor were unable to breastfeed. Am I doomed to the same fate due to genetics? I'm VERY worried.... Thanks for the help! <3

by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamakat070812
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 4:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Not being able to produce milk is very rare and if you have a good LC you will be all set.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
risa_alvarez
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this

My best friend had this same fear when she was pregnant with her first (she was 22 and neither mom or sister were able to breastfeed), she's now pregnant with her second and still breast feeding her 18 month old. You'll be fine mama. And congrats on your pregnancy!

Carter61110
by Tammi on Nov. 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Quoting mamakat070812:

Not being able to produce milk is very rare and if you have a good LC you will be all set.

I agree! Look up where the closest La Leche League is to you, too! 

http://www.llli.org/

CafeMom Tickers
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Most women who thought they weren't able to produce are actually very mistaken. Forget your mom and sister. You are tabula rasa, your very one person with NOTHING in the bloodline. 

Hie thee to the bookstore. Pick up a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro and read it through. Get to know kellymom.com.

Fill your head with knowledge. Better a head bursting with infromation and an empty room for a nursery than the reverse. For ever minute you spend on nursery/layette/baby gear, spend THREE minutes on learning about infant care and feeding. Baby doesn't care if the room is done in Winnie The Pooh or World of Warcraft, but baby DOES care about being fed. So become a walking encyclopedia about infant feeding.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Nov. 9, 2012 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

My mom "never produced milk" either... and I was worried when I was pregnant with my first.   Turned out she had some really bad info from her doctor and I've now exclusively breastfed 3 kids.  

kblossom20
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Thank you so much everyone!! I feel more at ease now :) 

connorsmama06
by Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:03 PM
I agree with the book . It is great! Congrats on your new little one.
MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Yup, same here. My mom said she didn't produce milk either, but turned out she also got really bad information from her doctor as well. My brother was 10 lbs and was nursing every 2 hours, so her doctor told her that she was nursing him too much (not possible). So, she quit. 

She said she didn't "produce enough" with me but looking at my baby book, she stuffed me full of cereal along with bottles of formula, which can reduce supply. 

Same with my grandmother, she was told that her milk wasn't "good enough". 

I nursed all 3 of my kids, including a set of twins. Education and support makes a world of difference. 

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

My mom "never produced milk" either... and I was worried when I was pregnant with my first.   Turned out she had some really bad info from her doctor and I've now exclusively breastfed 3 kids.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

luvhubandbabys
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:45 PM
More than likely they didn't understand that newborns are supposed to nurse almost constantly in the beg. A lot of women I know assume that means they don't make enough but its not true. Just what babies do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kblossom20
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM

All good info to know. My family also thinks it's "ridiculous" that I've decided to breastfeed so I don't get any support there. I wasn't sure where to turn with my questions. Thank you all :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)