Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What is the average age when a baby self ween ?

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM
  • 67 Replies
My son is 13 months and wondering when he may start to lose interest?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cemcnair
by Courtney on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Well, mine is 28 months and still nursing. It all depends on the child. I believe average is 3-7 years.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM
I am curious too
Dh wants me to start weaning a month before her first bday so by the time she's a year she's done. But the older she gets the more she nurses. Anyway. I was wondering the same lol
TTC2Long
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:27 PM
The biological norm is 3-5 years. Ds is 29 months and still nurses many times a day and night. Babies who are allowed to self-wean usually do so anywhere in that 3-5 year period.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetDoc
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:28 PM

23 months and she shows NO interest in stopping!

TTC2Long
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Any nursing you cut before 12 months will need to be replaced with formula. Check out kellymom.com for safe weaning techniques. :)

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

I am curious too

Dh wants me to start weaning a month before her first bday so by the time she's a year she's done. But the older she gets the more she nurses. Anyway. I was wondering the same lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by Sarah on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:29 PM
Have you told him that any session you miss before a year needs replaced- with formula.

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

I am curious too

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:29 PM
My dd is 3 and still nurses up to once a day but usually once every 2-3 days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumB
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Wow I was hoping y'all would say 15 months!!... Lol... Don't think I do 7 years... Sorry my little handsome son but I'm just not sure how long my milk will last and want him to ween before it's gone;)... I am dieting slightly so I feel it has already decreased a little;( Thx for your responses!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Nov. 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

as long as there is demand(nursing) there will be a supply. World average is 2-7 yrs. Nursing an older child is much different than nursing a child under 1. Not nrarly as often on average.

SRUsarahSC
by Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 9:41 PM

mine lost interest at 11 months.  And before everyone jumps all over me, SHE.LOST.INTEREST. She didn't want to nurse she wanted food.  It DOES happen.  I was fine with it, she was weaned at 12 months. She never tried to go for it and I stopped offering it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN