Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
We had a check up on Declan and of course weight has been a big issue. She uses the dang chart. He's gained 1lb 6oz in 4 weeks. Perfect weight gain but his pedi is insisting I feed 4 bottles of half formula half breastmilk. I broke down a flat out refused. She's threatening to admit him to the hospital if his weight is not better in a week. My mom was with me and heard it all. She keeps him and is going to feed it to him and I told her I am not buying it. I've made an appt with another pedi because im so upset and do not want to feed him formula. He's meeting milestones and he's short and light but he's healthy. Of course my mom is telling me he could die. Im so mad I don't want to take him back to the dr I have been using since my oldest was born
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Replies (21-26):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:13 PM

His weight is more than the 1 lb per month from lowest weight (usually around 7 days old) that is expected.  He has more than made up for his slow start.  I woulnd't be changing anything except your pediatrician and your babysitter. :(

Quoting MisfitInTN:

Ok birth 8/15/12 he was 7lbs 11.6 oz. At 5 days old he was 7lbs 3 oz. At 2 weeks he was 7lbs. At 3 weeks he was 7lbs 3.5 oz at 4 weeks he was 7lbs 9 oz at 5 weeks 7lbs 13 oz. At 6 weeks 8#2oz. At 9 weeks 9#3oz and at 13 weeks he is 10lbs 8 oz.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Can you give us a list of weights and ages/dates?

MisfitInTN
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:24 PM
I don't plan on feeding formula. Everyone keeps telling me im being irrational and he's going to suffer and his brain won't develop normal. I loved his pedi up until today. Its going to be hard to find one I like. I know switching will hurt her. She has been a good family friend for the past 5 years and claims to be an advocate for breastfeeding and she does this. I hate being in this situation

Quoting K8wizzo:

His weight is more than the 1 lb per month from lowest weight (usually around 7 days old) that is expected.  He has more than made up for his slow start.  I woulnd't be changing anything except your pediatrician and your babysitter. :(

Quoting MisfitInTN:

Ok birth 8/15/12 he was 7lbs 11.6 oz. At 5 days old he was 7lbs 3 oz. At 2 weeks he was 7lbs. At 3 weeks he was 7lbs 3.5 oz at 4 weeks he was 7lbs 9 oz at 5 weeks 7lbs 13 oz. At 6 weeks 8#2oz. At 9 weeks 9#3oz and at 13 weeks he is 10lbs 8 oz.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Quoting MisfitInTN:

Ok birth 8/15/12 he was 7lbs 11.6 oz.123.6oz normal loss for vaginal birth without tons of IV is to 111 oz, csection or tons of IV would be 108ishAt 5 days old he was 7lbs 3 oz115. At 2 weeks he was 7lbs112oz so he techincally could have lost more after this though normally gaining by this point..when did milk come in?. At 3 weeks he was 7lbs 3.5 oz if he lost a bit more then this COULD be a 4 oz gain or moreat 4 weeks he was 7lbs 9 oz 6oz gain PERFECTat 5 weeks 7lbs 13 oz.4oz gain is great At 6 weeks 8#2oz. 5oz gain is perfect!!At 9 weeks 9#3oz 3 weeks he gained 1lb 1 oz YAY WONDERFUL!!and at 13 weeks he is 10lbs 8 oz.another month and another pound and 5oz YAY perfect!! the issue her is WHAT!!??

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I would get all my info to present, kellymom has GREAT info and its backed up with resources, print WHO growth charts and plot him on them and then request a sit down with your prediatrician.  Since she says she is BFing advocate and a friend of the family this should be possible.  Ask her to provide proof that he os not gaining enough, that he is going to suffer from these issues.  Ask her for physical proof because YOU have physical proof otherwise.  When a person has cancer they want proof they have it yes? Well if your child is suffering so much doctor should be able to prove it.  Theres been no testing done, everything has been based on numbers and these numbers are wonderful for a BF baby!

Quoting MisfitInTN:

I don't plan on feeding formula. Everyone keeps telling me im being irrational and he's going to suffer and his brain won't develop normal. I loved his pedi up until today. Its going to be hard to find one I like. I know switching will hurt her. She has been a good family friend for the past 5 years and claims to be an advocate for breastfeeding and she does this. I hate being in this situation

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting MisfitInTN:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

MisfitInTN
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:46 PM
She did send us to get a metabolic panel a cbc and a thyroid test done today. But that's all that's been done testing wise. She has always been wonderful. I don't understand why over a pound weight gain is not ok. She's basing it off of that he's consistently fell on the growth chart and is now at 4th for weight and 5th for height

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I would get all my info to present, kellymom has GREAT info and its backed up with resources, print WHO growth charts and plot him on them and then request a sit down with your prediatrician.  Since she says she is BFing advocate and a friend of the family this should be possible.  Ask her to provide proof that he os not gaining enough, that he is going to suffer from these issues.  Ask her for physical proof because YOU have physical proof otherwise.  When a person has cancer they want proof they have it yes? Well if your child is suffering so much doctor should be able to prove it.  Theres been no testing done, everything has been based on numbers and these numbers are wonderful for a BF baby!

Quoting MisfitInTN:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting MisfitInTN:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:04 PM

If she's breastfeeding friendly she would not use that chart.

Indeed, if she's breastfeeding friendly she will look at the baby and never ever ever the scale. My doc never looks at weights unless mom reports a prpblem., They're taken, but he doesn't even look at the patient chart. He walks in, asks what's going on, takes a look and then flips open the folder if I report a probelm and ONLY if I report a problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)