Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

a bit of bad news and really great news i wanted to share

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:14 PM
  • 45 Replies
1 mom liked this

my lc came over today for a weight check, to give me an sns and to try to help me get my ds to latch and stay on. he hasnt gained weight since last week which is concerning so im going to have to really stay on top and try to get him to eat even more than he was before. but the good news is that not only did he latch but he stayed bf for 5 mins. he would of stayed on longer but my lc is more concerned with him not gaining weight right now so she wants me to have him do 5 mins on breast for practice then bottle feed atleast 2 oz of breast milk until he starts gaining weight but atleast he is latching now thats a big win for me that i just wanted to share.

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:24 PM
4 moms liked this
don't limit time at the breast! supplement for not enough dipes
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:26 PM
7 moms liked this

WOAH! 2 oz is a FULL feed! This is basically weaning your baby!  YOu need to use the SNS and do all feeds, NO bottles if baby can and does latch! Baby needs to learn to nurse for feeds otherwise baby will see the bottle as food and start refusing to latch at all!

Is this an IBCLC? I am beginning to wonder were these ladies get their info honestly.  To me its like they want to cause issues so you ahve more reason to call them for help

mommytotwinz
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:37 PM

im not sure if she is IBCLC shes a lc for wic. so should i put 2 oz in the sns? im actually using a shield with the sns so while he eats off the sns he is also latched and eating off my boob so would that over feed him? i agree with not limiting him. i limited him while she was here but honestly i dont want to limit him especially after how long it took me to get him back to breast. i am however going to try to feed him more often. i wish i could co sleep to make it easier but ds1 still climbs in bed with us and i dont want to take a chance of him laying on youngest ds. 

K8wizzo
by Kate on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:42 PM

It's normal for baby's to have slow gain or stalled gain while weaning from bottles back to the breast.  How old is baby?  What did feeding sessions look like for the last week or two--bottle/breast/combo?  How are diapers?

mommytotwinz
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

poops atleast 10 times a day and pees atleast 12. baby will be 3 weeks tomorrow. up until the last feeding he was strictly bottle he wouldnt do breast at all. im really hoping after today he will be strictly breast which is what my goal is. 

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:03 PM
6 moms liked this

As an IBCLC myself...I'm wondering why she isn't wanting him at the breast for more than 5 minutes?  I would want the baby at the breast for as long as possible and I would want to reduce any artificial nipples.  I would put the baby to the  breast with the SNS full of pumped milk (sounds like you have some) and skip the bottles.  If he's latching I wouldn't want to mess with it and I would try to get all feeds in without a bottle.  If he needs to be supplemented after being at the breast I would use a spoon, cup or syringe.

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Wait...why are you using a shield?  Can he latch directly to your breast?  If he will latch to the breast without the shield...ditch it!!!

lifeforchrist
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Im with all these women. Ignore that LC advice its HORRIBLE. If baby will latch give baby breast! anytime you see a cue offer the breast!

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Can  you give me a little more info?

Birth weight and any weights since then.

Was he 100% bottle fed expressed milk up until today, or was he on the breast for awhile, then the bottle, just cclarify with a bit more detial.

With the bottle, up until this visit with the LC, how mcuh was he getting and how often?

Why are you using the shield? When baby latched with out the sns was it with or without the shield?

I think you can probably do 100% breast, and just keep a close count of feeding frequency and diapers to know he is getting enough.

Sarahsarah518
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this

whoa. why the heck would she have you take him OFF the breast?! if hes on, keep him there!!!  i think shes giving you bad info!!  more boobies, less bottle, you can do it!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)