Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

a bit of bad news and really great news i wanted to share

Posted by   + Show Post

my lc came over today for a weight check, to give me an sns and to try to help me get my ds to latch and stay on. he hasnt gained weight since last week which is concerning so im going to have to really stay on top and try to get him to eat even more than he was before. but the good news is that not only did he latch but he stayed bf for 5 mins. he would of stayed on longer but my lc is more concerned with him not gaining weight right now so she wants me to have him do 5 mins on breast for practice then bottle feed atleast 2 oz of breast milk until he starts gaining weight but atleast he is latching now thats a big win for me that i just wanted to share.

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Replies (31-40):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Start with an ounce in the SNS. 

I think your gut is right about how much trust to have in the LC.

So, were any two of those weights taken on the same scale at the doc's office?

Rosa404
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:11 AM
Quoting mommytotwinz:

im not sure if she is IBCLC shes a lc for wic. so should i put 2 oz in the sns? im actually using a shield with the sns so while he eats off the sns he is also latched and eating off my boob so would that over feed him? i agree with not limiting him. i limited him while she was here but honestly i dont want to limit him especially after how long it took me to get him back to breast. i am however going to try to feed him more often. i wish i could co sleep to make it easier but ds1 still climbs in bed with us and i dont want to take a chance of him laying on youngest ds. 

I'm an lc for wic. We are not train for that kind of stuff unless she is a supervisor.
mommytotwinz
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:30 AM

nope. the only weights that were done on the same scale are from the hospital when he was born and before discharge. then once at the drs office almost 2 weeks after he was born when he was 6lb7oz and today by the lc when he was again 6lb7oz. and as far as i know she is not a supervisor so it seems that the info i get from you ladies is more knowledgeable than what i get from her. 

Quoting gdiamante:

Start with an ounce in the SNS. 

I think your gut is right about how much trust to have in the LC.

So, were any two of those weights taken on the same scale at the doc's office?

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:15 PM
Is she actually a LC or is she a peer counselor? There's a HUGE difference in the education and training. Although, I have friends who are peer counselors and are training to become LCs, so they have more training than other PCs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:25 PM
I wouldnt even use the sn to be honest. i'd let him nurse as long as he wants. Encourage feeding at least every 2hrs. Watch diapers 6 or more a day and baby is fine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:37 PM
I agree. I think mom is doing a better job than she realizes, and the SNS might be undermining her confidence that she's actually doing this. If diaper counts drop, then I'd think about that SNS.

Quoting melindabelcher:

I wouldnt even use the sn to be honest. i'd let him nurse as long as he wants. Encourage feeding at least every 2hrs. Watch diapers 6 or more a day and baby is fine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:49 PM
Yep. I agree too.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I agree. I think mom is doing a better job than she realizes, and the SNS might be undermining her confidence that she's actually doing this. If diaper counts drop, then I'd think about that SNS.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytotwinz
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

ty ive only used sns once. its a real pain to put together. out of the last 10 feedings 8 of them were strictly breast. the other 2 he got way too aggitated and wouldnt latch. honestly considering last week i never expected to get him to latch this is still a win for me. diapers are still good so im just gonna trust what u ladies say and relax

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:13 PM
Good! You're doing great! :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenTheDragon
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I just wanted to offer you some encouragement. I know it is a very stressful time; I went through the same things  with both my DDs. For the first month, DD1 was all bottle fed with expressed milk. Then I said enough was enough and we struggled through getting her to latch. After about 2 weeks of lots of tears (both her and me), we got it and never looked back. (Actually, she refused a bottle ever again ... which was frustrating later!) In the meantime, I had her pedi telling me she wasn't gaining enough weight and one even mentioned having her hospitalized for FTT. That was scary -- and did nothing but add to the stress. Turns out she is just a petite girl! (At age 4y3m last week, she JUST hit 30 lbs.) 

Then with DD2, we did the same thing. I just couldn't get her to latch. We did bottles for a few weeks until I got the courage to go through the whole ordeal again. Same thing. After about 2 weeks of lots of tears, we finally got it down and again, never looked back. We had the pedi's worrying us again, but I was more confident this time that she was just a petite girl.

With all that, I just really wanted to tell you to hang in there! You can do it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)