Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I feel like I have no milk..

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM
  • 9 Replies
I have been breast feeding my 7 1/2 month old exclusively for 4 months now... We started off exclusively pumping, and finally transitioned to breast..
Well.. Last night I fed her.. And fed her.. And she just wouldn't go to sleep.. I tried rocking her, swaying, swaddling, laying with her.. And she was just screaming.. (I am visiting a friend right now, who has a baby the same age, who is formula fed, lots of solids ect) my friend came in and was like.. Ashley this is rediculous, your baby is hungry just give her a bottle of formula... It won't kill her!
And I had been trying to get my dd to sleep for like and hour and a half or so.. And I just gave in to the formula.. And she stopped screaming.. And went to sleep shortly after... I dont want to supplement.. But I feel like it's becoming inevitable.. We are also just starting solids.. I wanted to do baby led weaning.. But I'm not so sure about it any more.. :(

I just feel like such a failure. I want to be all my daughter needs.. But.. It's really seeming like it's not going to happen :(
I've been pumping and taking fenugreek to up my supply..
Also drinking a ton of water...

I just don't know what to do anymore..
My baby slept so much better last night too..
I know what I have to do to boost supply... But my milk just doesn't seem like enough.. And my friend keeps shoving that in my face and it sucks :(
I need advice/support
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
NeverABreak
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:44 PM

:( I'm sorry your friend is pressuring you. Some people just don't get it when it's something important to you.

soulofsunmama
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:48 PM
I seriously would stay away from that friend for awhile....maybe it worked that once because it was new, maybe it will work again...or not.. who knows.
All babies scream, all babies take awhile at times.
It's not the worst thing, it just sometimes sucks in the moment, but all things change, and all things pass before you know it.
If you want to exclusively breastfeed then do it, and tell her to shut it. Period.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Sure she passed out after that. I too go into a food coma after over stuffing myself on Thanksgiving. 

If your body has been able to produce enough milk for her up until this point, then you are making enough.

It is important to know that EBF babies gain a lot of weight in the first 6 months, then their gain slows dramatically in the 2nd 6 months. Formula fed babies, on the other hand, tend to keep gaining at close to the same rate. Which way do you think is "normal" for a human? Yep, the EBF way.

How is baby's weight gain? How many wet dipes each day? That is how you know baby is getting enough. Being fussy at night and nursing and nursing and not going to sleep (while away from home) is pretty normal for a baby her age. It is more likely that baby was overstimulated and having a hard time settling down than she was "starving".

Did you start birth control? Are you pregnant? Those could cause your supply to go down. If nothing has changed for you, then your body can still keep up with her demand.

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:58 PM

If you truly want to breastfeed, stay away from that friend. Babies eating habits change all the time and is NOT an indication of supply! If she is having plenty of diapers(atleast 6 a day) she is getting enough! As long as diapers are good, just keeping doing what  you are doing! You are not a failure! 1 drop of breastmilk makes you a success!

sreichelt26
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Exactly this. Ignore your friend, she doesn't know what she's talking about

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Sure she passed out after that. I too go into a food coma after over stuffing myself on Thanksgiving. 

If your body has been able to produce enough milk for her up until this point, then you are making enough.

It is important to know that EBF babies gain a lot of weight in the first 6 months, then their gain slows dramatically in the 2nd 6 months. Formula fed babies, on the other hand, tend to keep gaining at close to the same rate. Which way do you think is "normal" for a human? Yep, the EBF way.

How is baby's weight gain? How many wet dipes each day? That is how you know baby is getting enough. Being fussy at night and nursing and nursing and not going to sleep (while away from home) is pretty normal for a baby her age. It is more likely that baby was overstimulated and having a hard time settling down than she was "starving".

Did you start birth control? Are you pregnant? Those could cause your supply to go down. If nothing has changed for you, then your body can still keep up with her demand.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:33 PM

THIS exactly!!

Quoting sreichelt26:

Quoting maggiemom2000:

fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM

You need a new friend. Seriously, if you are in a new place, she's going to be a little out of sorts. It's overwhelming for them when their routine is disrupted. The best thing to do is nurse as much as she wants. Diaper count is the only way to know if you have enough. And, the formula may not kill her, but it will throw her tummy for a loop. It's not what her body is used to and it's sooo much heavier than breast milk.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:03 PM
Yes, this!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

THIS exactly!!

Quoting sreichelt26:

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Quoting AshleySail:

I have been breast feeding my 7 1/2 month old exclusively for 4 months now... We started off exclusively pumping, and finally transitioned to breast..
Well.. Last night I fed her.. And fed her.. And she just wouldn't go to sleep..
Of course not. **grin** Normal behavior. Sleep is the world's greatest bore and your daughte3r has discovered that fact! 
I tried rocking her, swaying, swaddling, laying with her.. And she was just screaming.. (I am visiting a friend right now, who has a baby the same age, who is formula fed, lots of solids ect) my friend came in and was like.. Ashley this is rediculous, your baby is hungry just give her a bottle of formula... It won't kill her!
No. But having been there done that... if they don't want to sleep it won't make them sleep either. What can work? Push back bedtime. And drop naps.
And I had been trying to get my dd to sleep for like and hour and a half or so.. And I just gave in to the formula.. And she stopped screaming.. And went to sleep shortly after... I dont want to supplement.. But I feel like it's becoming inevitable.. We are also just starting solids.. I wanted to do baby led weaning.. But I'm not so sure about it any more.. :(
Ahhhh. I will suggest this, though. If you had NOT given the formula... she still would have fallen asleep at that time. She was ready to by then. 90 minutes of screaming? Hell yeah, she'd have stopped REGARDLESS.

I just feel like such a failure.
No dead babies here, therefore no failure. The only failure is when you intentionally never feed the baby.
Since you're staying elsewhere... it's the atmosphere that was the problem. It would be unreasonable to expect her to keep normal patterns in an alien environment.
I want to be all my daughter needs.. But.. It's really seeming like it's not going to happen :(
I've been pumping and taking fenugreek to up my supply..
Also drinking a ton of water...

I just don't know what to do anymore..
My baby slept so much better last night too..
I know what I have to do to boost supply... But my milk just doesn't seem like enough.. And my friend keeps shoving that in my face and it sucks :(
I need advice/support

Your milk is fine. Babies that wake are NORMAL. Babies that sleep more heavily are at higher risk for SIDS. 

You were doing fine. Push baby's bedtime back by, say, 90 minutes. Watch and see. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)