Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please, I need to know if this is normal

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:39 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son is 18mths now and I'm starting to get a little... concerned? My daughter only breastfed for 7 months so this is the longest I have ever breastfed and I really need to know if this is normal or if there is something else going on.

He nurses constantly, almost like a newborn. He doesn't take milk every time but I am finding that, more often than not, he refuses solids and chooses to breastfeed instead. He isn't uhealthy, that I can tell. He has plenty of wet diapers and decent poops, albiet a little runny. Is this normal? We did the baby led weaning thing at around 6 months, found that his tummy was having too much trouble with it, and held it off until he was around 10 months. He did eat solids well, just recently... He used to have a packet of oatmeal in the morning but now, even though I know he likes the flavour, he refuses to even take a bite. Should I be worried?

Edit: I did mean to add that he weighs 32.6lbs

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:43 PM

As long as he is healthy and growing then there is no need to worry, this can and will happen. Babies and children go through phases. 

K8wizzo
by Kate on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:02 AM
2 moms liked this

That sounds pretty normal.  Most toddlers attempt to survive on air and the occasional chicken nugget--having a constant source of nutrition from breastmilk is the best thing for him.

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Hes smart he knows where the good stuff is, plus he gets his reasurence, & comfort at the breast. Baby lead weaning means you let baby decide when to stop.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:31 AM
This.

Quoting K8wizzo:

That sounds pretty normal.  Most toddlers attempt to survive on air and the occasional chicken nugget--having a constant source of nutrition from breastmilk is the best thing for him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM
2 moms liked this

100 percent normal. Not a worry.

Toddlers live on air and the occasional chicken nugget. Since those two things don't have 100% RDA of anything but oxygen, the breastmilk fills in the gaps. **smile**

Offer healthy foods, don't sweat it. He won't be this way forever. And someday, when he's cleaned your fridge out for the third time in as many days, you'll be wishing you could keep him on a liquid diet!

EDITED TO ADD: Now I see someone else already used the air and chicken nugget line! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)