Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Safe to Drive, Safe to Nurse but what if

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:50 PM
  • 16 Replies

What if you're not safe to drive? Do you wait until you are and then you can breastfeed, or is it pump and dump?

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Wait until you can breastfeed.  If you are uncomfortable, you can pump or hand express to comfort but that milk cannot be given to baby (you could use it to make soap, though).

shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this
What if the mom pumps and drinks it, does that put the alcohol back in her body?

Quoting K8wizzo:

Wait until you can breastfeed.  If you are uncomfortable, you can pump or hand express to comfort but that milk cannot be given to baby (you could use it to make soap, though).

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Traceyssel
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Quoting K8wizzo:

Thanks. Last night I had a margarita, I couldnt tell if I was tispy or extremely tired. lol I waited 3hrs after drinking 1 margarita. You can make soap out of breastmilk?

EslingerCrew11
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Yes, but it's a small amount of alcohol at that point.  Breastmilk is a blood-based fluid, so what is in your blood is in your milk; also, alcohol is metabolized from your milk at the same rate as it does your blood as long as your milk is still in your body.  Once milk is removed, the alcohol stays in it which is why you don't want to give it to baby.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

What if the mom pumps and drinks it, does that put the alcohol back in her body?

Quoting K8wizzo:

Traceyssel
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

wow you're smart. and that makes so much sense

Quoting K8wizzo:

Yes, but it's a small amount of alcohol at that point.  Breastmilk is a blood-based fluid, so what is in your blood is in your milk; also, alcohol is metabolized from your milk at the same rate as it does your blood as long as your milk is still in your body.  Once milk is removed, the alcohol stays in it which is why you don't want to give it to baby.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting K8wizzo:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM

http://www.pantryspa.com/beauty-remedies/skin-remedies/dr-oz-breast-milk-soap-yogurt-soap-dry-skin-remedy/

That recipe is from a cafemom member who shared it on his show.

Quoting Traceyssel:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Thanks. Last night I had a margarita, I couldnt tell if I was tispy or extremely tired. lol I waited 3hrs after drinking 1 margarita. You can make soap out of breastmilk?

missamanda86
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Wait. Alcohol only metabolizes out of your system so fast, and if you get engorged, you pump and dump. At least thats what I was always told

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

You can pump and dump if its for your own comfort. But if you still have a lot of alcohol in your blood, the new mik that is being produced still has some alcohol in it. As alcohol metabolizes out of your blood, it also leaves your milk. So if you *don't* pump, the alcohol will leave your milk anyway; it doesn't store in your milk anymore than your blood stores it; it metabolizes into sugars.

Quoting missamanda86:

Wait. Alcohol only metabolizes out of your system so fast, and if you get engorged, you pump and dump. At least thats what I was always told

Bren07
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:22 PM
Not safe to drive not safe to nurse. As the other momma said, once the alcohol is out of your blood it's our of your milk. Pumping and dumping doesn't speed the process. It's a waiting game. I think another rule I've heard is wait 2hrs after having one drink. So I'm sure waiting 3 hours was more then enough time for the alcohol to leave your system.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)