Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Toddler Milk?

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:33 PM
  • 9 Replies

I was reading a post on The leaky b@@b facebook page <---- Click here to view page..There is a post about Mothers milk bank at Austin there is a desperate need for milk donors for sick and preterm babies.

I was confused when one poster said she breastfeeds her almost 2 year old do they accept toddler milk and Jessica from The leaky b@@b facebook page said they do not accept toddler milk but told her about the places that does.I thought breast milk was breast milk NO matter how old your baby is..

BTW..I am also posting this so if any of you mothers can help

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Because toddler milk is of a different composition than newborn/early months to a year milk.  It is, after all, produced to meet the needs of a toddler rather than the needs of a baby.  I know mom to mom donors/recipients don't get too worried about it, but a milk bank in most cases will not accept milk pumped for a baby over twelve months.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Quoting preacherskid:

Because toddler milk is of a different composition than newborn/early months to a year milk.  It is, after all, produced to meet the needs of a toddler rather than the needs of a baby.  I know mom to mom donors/recipients don't get too worried about it, but a milk bank in most cases will not accept milk pumped for a baby over twelve months.

catholicmamamia
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Quoting preacherskid: Because toddler milk is of a different composition than newborn/early months to a year milk.  It is, after all, produced to meet the needs of a toddler rather than the needs of a baby.  I know mom to mom donors/recipients don't get too worried about it, but a milk bank in most cases will not accept milk pumped for a baby over twelve months.

susie3g
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
This brings up something interesting, I think. What about the composition of milk that is shared between a newborn and a toddler? If a mom is feeding two children of different ages, how is the milk perfect for both children? Just curious ...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newbabystarr09
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Great point! I didn't even think of this

Quoting susie3g:

This brings up something interesting, I think. What about the composition of milk that is shared between a newborn and a toddler? If a mom is feeding two children of different ages, how is the milk perfect for both children? Just curious ...

K8wizzo
by Kate on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Baby's saliva on mom's breast tells mom's body what needs to be in that milk at that moment in time.

Quoting susie3g:

susie3g
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:58 PM
That's pretty neat! So what about if a mom pumps then? Is the milk different because it's pumped rather than baby sucking?

Quoting K8wizzo:

Baby's saliva on mom's breast tells mom's body what needs to be in that milk at that moment in time.

Quoting susie3g:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Yes, it is.  There is a heirarchy of "the best" milk for baby.  Each step down is a little less perfect for baby.  This is just one part of why so many of us encourage moms to feed at the breast instead of EPing if it is at all possible for them.  It goes like this:

mom's milk at the breast

mom's milk, freshly pumped

mom's milk, refrigerated

mom's milk, frozen and thawed

donor milk

formula

Quoting susie3g:

That's pretty neat! So what about if a mom pumps then? Is the milk different because it's pumped rather than baby sucking?

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting susie3g:

susie3g
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I've heard people talk about that hierarchy before but I didn't understand the reasoning behind it. Thanks for the info.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Yes, it is.  There is a heirarchy of "the best" milk for baby.  Each step down is a little less perfect for baby.  This is just one part of why so many of us encourage moms to feed at the breast instead of EPing if it is at all possible for them.  It goes like this:

mom's milk at the breast

mom's milk, freshly pumped

mom's milk, refrigerated

mom's milk, frozen and thawed

donor milk

formula

Quoting susie3g:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting susie3g:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)