Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Little baby so stop Bfing? *Edit* What do you think of my conclusion?? *Edit* Very Long I'm Sorry!

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:11 PM
  • 58 Replies

My baby boy is so little I cry. For some reason he's not gaining weight. He is now at 0.02 percentile and weighs 10lbs 9 oz and is almost 6 months old. His doctor made me feel so guilty for wanting to keep bfing even though he is not gaining adequaste weight. She had me start him on solids at 3 months and he ate them well but was so constipated I had to stop. She called ECI and has diagnosed him with "Failure to Thrive". This terrifies me. He was born via c-section and I did have a time when I wasn't making enough milk so I took some fenugreek and got it back up, but yet again I feel like he is not eating for long enough and isn't always satisfied lately. I feel like a total failure. With my first son I could not bf because he was born so prematurely and I got blood clotts which cut off my milk supply but this time I was so excited about nursing and he latches great and eats great but now not long enough (maybe 10 mins in total) and I have a hard time telling if I'm full or not. I don't know what to do, I don't want to formula feed and I really want him to get as much breastmilk as possible.

ECI came yesterday and she said he is developmentally ahead of his age, but physically he's very small. I started him on solids yet again and this time it's going better, she said to add 1/4 tsp of oil to his foods to up calorie intake and said she is not having me give him formula YET to see if this will work. But I'm so riddled with guilt and worry that I am beside myself. Have any of you ever just had a small baby? Or problems bfing? I think I'm going to take more fenugreek capsules and lots of Mother's Milk tea and more water and see if it helps but if it doesn't should I just throw in the towel and start formula feeding?

I love him so much I just want him to be healthy and happy and thrive. He loves the bf cuddle time so much idk if I could bare to give it up! Any suggestions or advice? anything would be sooo helpful!

I am adding a few pictures of him, keep in mind in the one in only the diaper he had just taken in a huge breath and scrunched his chest up to his chin, hence why there is no neck lol

Edit:: He was born 6lbs 8oz came home weighing 6lbs even, at his 1 weeks weigh in he gained about 4 oz, his 1 month he was a lottle over 7 lbs, his 3 month he was 9lbs, his 4 months 9lbs 10oz, 4 1/2 months 10lbs 1 oz, and now 5 1/2 months he is 10 lbs 9oz. 

He has 8 wet diapers usually

Eats 9 times in 24 hrs, he set his own schedule since he came home so every 2-3 hrs during the day, and twice at night (once at midnight - I wake him up, and once at 6am - he wakes up, then 8am, 11am, etc...) ON DEMAND but he made up his own schedule and has been on the same once since he was a month old, he gets hungry at the same times every day and is very active and when its not time to nurse he sometimes has his binkie and sometimes doesn't.

Tried solids at 3 months, stopped after a week, started again slowly about a week ago, and it is going well. he eats about an ounce and a half a day, once at 10am and again at 7pm

He has perfect latch, never any tongue problems.

He has had numerous blood tests, all came out normal.

Pumping is EXCRUCIATING and I do not get anything from pumping, whether it be handheld or electric, I think it'e because of my large breasts and large nipples, I have tried many kinds and it is too painful and even after 30 minutes on ONE side I get maybe a few drops to 1/4 oz.

Developmentally he can almost sit on his own, he can lift himself up when on his stomach, babbles, sucks his toes, tracks very well, etc.

When it comes to his solid foods, he is doing better with them, he LOVES them and the nutritionist suggested to put oil in his foods and that alone seems to be helping with the constipation problem he had before, I use coconut oil. His bowl movements are normal.

Anything else just let me know and I will do my best to add it in. Please let me know what y'all think. Thanks!

*Edit 2*

Thank you everyone for your kind words, support, and encouragement. Most of what I see advice wise is just what I needed to hear.

After reading all your comments, I started to think more objectively. I realized that since he was a month old his stools have been spaced more apart, which I know is normal (once every 3 days) but what ISN'T normal is that it slowly became more potent and turned green instead of mustard like it should be, and got very "slimy" or "mucusy" and It has been this way for about 2 1/2 months. Looking at his weights, this happened about when his weight gain started slowing.

So I did a little reading about it and I know he isn't lactose intolerant because I tried taking dairy out of my diet and it didn't change his wieght or his stools. I know that one of you said that foremilk and hindmilk has nothing to do with weight, but in this article (http://www.llli.org/faq/foremilk.html) from the LLL they say it is. I also recall that his ECI nutricionist said the only 2 things it could be (since everything else was ruled out) is insufficient fats in my milk or problems with let down. I'm thinking ti's beginning to be both.

M conclusion is: although I don't have an oversupply, I think I have an abundance of foremilk and not enough hindmilk, whether that means I let down too early or let down too slowly, he might not be getting the fatty hindmilk (growth) and filling up on foremilk (brain and development) which makes so much sense now that I read that little article! Please let me know what y'all think. I'm so sorry this has become such a long post thanks so much for reading all the way and helping me! i love cafemom!

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Stop breastfeeding. No. Do you need to make some changes, possiblly.

First please send me some more info:

Complete weight history (al weights and ages that you have, along with any changes such as supplementing with solids happening at the time)

How many times in 24 hours is he nursing?

Are you nursing on demand or setting a schedule?

Does he nurse during the night?

Has he been checked for tongue tie?

Have they done any tests to rule out any other possible causes for low weight gain?

Have you tried pumping and supplementing with your own milk?

sreichelt26
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:45 PM
^^all this. Solids was a bad idea too. Bm and formula both have far more calories than solids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hillelbebop
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Added the info as an Edit to the original post! Read it over, thanks!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Stop breastfeeding. No. Do you need to make some changes, possiblly.

First please send me some more info:

Complete weight history (al weights and ages that you have, along with any changes such as supplementing with solids happening at the time)

How many times in 24 hours is he nursing?

Are you nursing on demand or setting a schedule?

Does he nurse during the night?

Has he been checked for tongue tie?

Have they done any tests to rule out any other possible causes for low weight gain?

Have you tried pumping and supplementing with your own milk?

hillelbebop
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Doctor told me to start solids. I didnt want to but i thought it was worth a shot and it didnt go well just like i thought so i stopped.

Quoting sreichelt26:

^^all this. Solids was a bad idea too. Bm and formula both have far more calories than solids.

sreichelt26
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Oh, I know. I meant bad advice on the doctor's part :)

We should be able to trust them to give us accurate information, but alas...

Quoting hillelbebop:

Doctor told me to start solids. I didnt want to but i thought it was worth a shot and it didnt go well just like i thought so i stopped.

Quoting sreichelt26:

hillelbebop
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:23 AM

This is just making me so depressed. I'm not sure what I should do. I'm not sure if he's just a small baby or if I'm doing something wrong.

LucyHourglass
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:56 AM

he sounds like my son - small but ahead in milestones - i sent you a pm. :) 

Quoting hillelbebop:

This is just making me so depressed. I'm not sure what I should do. I'm not sure if he's just a small baby or if I'm doing something wrong.

LucyHourglass
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:58 AM

also, my son was at one point diagnosed with FTT as well, but that was when he had tongue tie and before it was clipped, he got very dehydrated and was losing weight. I would strongly consider checking him for posterior tongue tie yourself, again, just to be sure. and not by a doctor - yourself. doctors are very wrong most the time when it comes to tongue tie. :)

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Good grief, starting solids at 3 months (way fewer calories per ounce then breastmilk!!!) is certainly the issue. Considering THAT and he's still 4.5 pounds over lowest is AMAZING!!! Stop solids, nurse constantly, and find a slightly educated doctor :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:42 AM
I completely agree with this! The gain was great for the first few months, then slowed when supply regulation commonly happens. That makes me think that there is a milk transfer issue like a tongue tie and he can't get the milk quite as easily anymore.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

also, my son was at one point diagnosed with FTT as well, but that was when he had tongue tie and before it was clipped, he got very dehydrated and was losing weight. I would strongly consider checking him for posterior tongue tie yourself, again, just to be sure. and not by a doctor - yourself. doctors are very wrong most the time when it comes to tongue tie. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)