Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Every 2.5 hours

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:29 PM
  • 21 Replies

My 8 month old is EBF 99% of the time. He almost always cries himself to sleep (in my arms) as he fights it and even complainsas he is half asleep. Recently I have been letting him CIO in his crib at nap time because it doesnt matter if hes in my arms or crib he will CIO until he falls asleep and sleep usually comes faster if Im not holding him.

So Im not sure if this is a BF question or a CIO question... 

He wakes up every 2-3 hours to eat. He eats less than a usual feeding. On a rare occasion If I don't hear him right away he will fall back asleep. He used to sleep through the night or only wake up once up until about 6 mnths. Im severely sleep deprived and wondering if I should try and get him on more of a schedule/ try sleep training? He goes to bed around 10:30 pm and wakes around 7am,

Why do you think he is waking so often? Hunger? Teething? Also another bit of info - at 8 months he still has 3-4 naps during the day (first one being only 1-2 hours after waking in the morn). I think this might be because he doesnt sleep solidly at night. Is all of this normal and not to worry, or does solid sleep matter? 

Apologies in advance for the scatterbrained questions. 

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this
A baby isn't CIO if your there comforting him, but is CIO if hes left to cry alone.
Night waking is very common. My dtr is almost 8mo and is up 3-10 times a night. Breastfed babies need to be fed on demand. Theres no way of knowing how much hes taking. They can nurse for 20min and take .5oz or 5 min and take 3oz. Under 1 no limiting nursing.
This behavior is typical for the age.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Crystal_S
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Good to know this is normal behavior - I have never limited nursing before, just thought it might be not so good that he is not sleeping well at night and still sleeping alot during the day. 

I know every babe is different, but can anybody share when sleeping more solid might happen?

Quoting melindabelcher:

A baby isn't CIO if your there comforting him, but is CIO if hes left to cry alone.
Night waking is very common. My dtr is almost 8mo and is up 3-10 times a night. Breastfed babies need to be fed on demand. Theres no way of knowing how much hes taking. They can nurse for 20min and take .5oz or 5 min and take 3oz. Under 1 no limiting nursing.

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:49 PM
I agree with the pp that its normal.

Try co sleeping for a bit & that may help (you could try something like after 2 wake ups you bring baby to bed)

I would research CIO - there's a lot of new research showing that it has negative affects on a baby

Also if baby is crying in your arms maybe try giving teething tablets or even Tylenol/ibuprofen - when DS is crying at night it's usually due to teething pain or being sick
Crystal_S
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:04 PM

We have partially co-slept (I bring him in bed when Im so tired that I need to nurse lying down) Until now - He is very mobile and has crawled off the bed (low bed he didnt get hurt). His bedroom is so close to ours and our room is so small its like hes right beside us anyways. I also seem to sleep better with the time I do have while he is not in my bed. 

he has 7 teeth at 8 mnths and its been tough - but He almost always cries to sleep no matter what we do (in arms or in bed) and I try not to medicate unless he is seems extremely uncomfortable. We used to comfort nurse to sleep, but recently he has started chewing on my nipple as soon as hes done eating. He also grinds his teeth alot. 

I have researched CIO - and know it can have stressful negative effects so We have never done it before. I was just wondering if he is crying himself to sleep anyways - if maybe it wasn't because he is hungry - that maybe there is some form of sleep training we should try, since I am so tired im delusional. But if it is normal behavior, and this sleeping pattern is ok for him then I suppose we will have to keep trucking along. 

I hate wishing any time away - but Im looking forward to the day where I get more than 3 consecutive hours of  sleep. 

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Try co sleeping for a bit & that may help (you could try something like after 2 wake ups you bring baby to bed)

I would research CIO - there's a lot of new research showing that it has negative affects on a baby

Also if baby is crying in your arms maybe try giving teething tablets or even Tylenol/ibuprofen - when DS is crying at night it's usually due to teething pain or being sick

LucyHourglass
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:07 PM

it could also possibly be gas?  are you eating anything gassy? my son only cries in his sleep if his tummy hurts.

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Crystal_S
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Its almost every time he goes to sleep for a couple months - . It could be gas but I hope not because that would be alot of time suffering :(

Quoting LucyHourglass:

it could also possibly be gas?  are you eating anything gassy? my son only cries in his sleep if his tummy hurts.

Quoting collinsmommy0:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:23 PM
Sleeping patterns change frequently due to growth spurts, teething, new milestones, separation anxiety, and many other things. There is really no way to know if the waking to nurse is due to hunger or comfort. Either way, it is a need and shouldn't be limited. If you are following the baby's lead on when to sleep, then it is normal and fine. Longer sleep stretches silk come when HE is ready. There is nothing that you can do to make him sleep more. Is he in your room? The best way for both of you to get more sleep is to have the baby as close as possible so neither of you has to really wake up. If you aren't comfortable having him in your bed, you could try to side car the crib next to the bed so he has his own space while still being right next to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kgau73
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:28 PM
Also you might try an earlier bedtime. If he sleeps more at night he may get better sleep and not nap so much. I would try ibuprphan at bedtime in case he is in pain and that is keeping him up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 17, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Yep sleep is very unique to the individual.

My oldest slept 12hrs at night and 4hrs at daytime from 8wks until he dropped the naps at 2yo and still sleeps 11-12hrs a night. My middle woke up 2-3 times a night and napped about 2hrs until 1yrish then woke 1-2 times a night until 18mo and now sleeps 10-11hrs a night. My youngest gives me a run for my money!!!! At one point she was up every 30-90 minutes!!! Even now at 8mo shes still up usually 5-6 times but can be anywhere from 3-10 times a night. Naps somedays for minutes, other days naps for a couple hrs total

I really feel they sleep all night when theyre ready, for some kiddos thats a newborn for others they never do :)

Quoting Crystal_S:

Good to know this is normal behavior - I have never limited nursing before, just thought it might be not so good that he is not sleeping well at night and still sleeping alot during the day. 

I know every babe is different, but can anybody share when sleeping more solid might happen?

Quoting melindabelcher:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM

The day you normally wake up without the baby and don't sleep solidly any more. **grin**

There is no set age. Some of us never sleep "solid." I don't. Nor does my son.  For us, "solid" sleep is a sign of serious illness.

If you want baby to sleep more at night, then try to reduce the napping in the daytime.

Quoting Crystal_S:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)