Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ugh my MIL...

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM
  • 28 Replies
I've often said I love my MIL as a person but not as a grandma and after today, I'm very thankful for DH.

She was trying to feed my DD2 rice sopa. She's old enough for solids (8.5 months) but its just some white rice in a broth. No thanks. DH had to stop her because she was gonna try to stuff my baby and now she's all pissed at DH. Whatever.

Then she tried to give her atole in a bottle. DH had to step in again and say "No. This is bad for her" and again she got mad.

I don't mind coming over. Most of the time she's fine, but there's just something up with her today and I wanna beat her up and tell her to leave my poor baby alone, and quit getting mad at her DH whose being a good dad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cassiehmomof3
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:32 PM
She needs to respect the decisions you make for your baby.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:33 PM
2 moms liked this

At least there's a silver lining. . . . . Good for your DH to step up and say something!!!!   :) 

cassiehmomof3
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM
She needs to respect the decisions you make for your baby.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Am guessing she is latina
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robibuni
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:40 PM
Ding ding ding :)

DH is first generation Mexican American and my MIL can be very controlling and stubborn.

Quoting piwife:

Am guessing she is latina

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I think MIL needs to have limits set..do not feed baby anything unless we specifically say so is a big one

robibuni
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM
Like I said, she's usually not too bad. She'll give DD1 a little chocolate so I expect a little spoiling...but DD1 is also 3! Not a baby.

She's the kind of person that thinks she knows all when it comes to kids and when DH stands up to her, she gets pissed. We stopped coming around a lot since she's so pushy about what SHE wants.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I think MIL needs to have limits set..do not feed baby anything unless we specifically say so is a big one

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShadowLark
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM
What's atole?
She needs to respect your limits, but at the same time, I'm going to hazard a guess and say this is your first baby? If atole is anything like horchata, it might be worth an ounce of candy in a bottle (for an 8 month old who takes solids anyway) to keep the peace. Solids are dessert, right? So who cares if every once in a. While, they actually TASTE like dessert?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShadowLark
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:56 PM
Ok, not your first baby. I'm back to "what's atole?".

Quoting robibuni:

Like I said, she's usually not too bad. She'll give DD1 a little chocolate so I expect a little spoiling...but DD1 is also 3! Not a baby.

She's the kind of person that thinks she knows all when it comes to kids and when DH stands up to her, she gets pissed. We stopped coming around a lot since she's so pushy about what SHE wants.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robibuni
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:58 PM
No. She's my second. We learned the hard way with DD1 not to let her out of our sight when MIL is around.

At 5 months, she was giving DD1 Oreos, at 9 months, sneaking coke...needless to say, when we found out, we were pissed and stopped coming around so much. Now that DD1 is 3, I still keep an eye on her since my MIL tried giving her a whole Diet Coke in a can. DH and I flipped.

Atole is similar to horchata, but even then its just diabetes in a bottle. Mind you, my MIL, BIL, and DH are ALL type 2 diabetics so its something I feel like I need to monitor.

Quoting ShadowLark:

What's atole?

She needs to respect your limits, but at the same time, I'm going to hazard a guess and say this is your first baby? If atole is anything like horchata, it might be worth an ounce of candy in a bottle (for an 8 month old who takes solids anyway) to keep the peace. Solids are dessert, right? So who cares if every once in a. While, they actually TASTE like dessert?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN