Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

stopping breastfeeding

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:49 PM
  • 68 Replies
My goal was to bf for at least 6 months but I think I am done at 4 months. I love that my son is attached to me but he wont take breast milk from a bottle and his night sleeping has regressed to the point that he can wake up every hour or less to eat. I have been exhausted for the last 3 weeks. And he will not stay with anyone else while i run errands or later when i go back to work or take the bottle. i start weaning him where he can not be too distressed? I fear that my exhaustion is going to impact my mothering.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this
It's part of your job as mom. I think it's selfish to do. Can you bed share and nurse while you sleep?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:54 PM
2 moms liked this
is thi your first? I have 3 kids... wanna know what was the last time I got a full non interrupted 8 hrs of sleep... sometime back in 06. Being a mom means loosing sleep. I have a 5,3 and 6mths. Non of my kids sleep thru the night. By the way my first was formula feed. She is 5 yrs old now and still doesn't sleep thru the night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:55 PM
11 moms liked this
Not to be snarky, but if he won't take a bottle now what makes you think he'll take one with formula in it? Formula feeding absolutely does NOT equal sleeping at night or make babies somehow less exhausting (just ask my sister in law, all 3 of her kids were ff from birth and weren't great sleepers and she's the most constantly exhausted person I know. Seriously)
He WILL take a bottle when you work or run errands eventually and if he doesn't, he's not that hungry.

Wean if you want, but I want you to understand that formula isn't magic potion and won't make your baby less of a baby. Formula moms face all the same issues (almost everyone I know ff) but because they don't breastfeed nobody blames how they're fed as the cause. It always blows my mind how if you bf suddenly that's the culprit for everything,yet if a formula baby is cranky, clingy, or not sleeping well nobody ever suggests it's because Mom is formula feeding.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caelsmom16
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:55 PM
3 moms liked this
Ouch! Well that was crazy judgemental, i thought this was a place to share, get info and support each other.
caelsmom16
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Im actually not wanting to introduce formula, just wanting to pump more and only bf in am and nites. Wow, hmm interesting comments.
Lovinmybabas
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I think that if he were hungry enough, he would take a bottle. Good luck though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aniters
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:59 PM
I agree with larissalarie. drink formula and see how bad it tastes. do you really think he will prefer formula over breastmilk? why don't you try pumping and giving it to him in a bottle?
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:00 PM
I don't really think weaning will help you. If he won't take a bottle now it won't be much better if you take away nursing. And weaning does not equal sttn. Cosleep. My son is 5 months and i just sleep on my side towards him with my shirt up and he latches himself. Hardly even wakes me up. And have you tried a sippy or spoon/cup feeding while you're away?
piwife
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this
We are being judgy.. we are being honest. There is a difference. This a place to support nursing moms. If you were expecting us to tell you what formula to buy. Wrong group... have you tried using a sippy cup to see of he takes that. My baby doesn't like to take a bottle but if she is hungry enough she will take one. Also babies can reverse cycle. as to the not wanting to stay with people that's normal ff or bf. Is part of being a baby. He will adjust.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:01 PM
So u want to exclusivily pump?......do u bedshare?

Quoting caelsmom16:

Im actually not wanting to introduce formula, just wanting to pump more and only bf in am and nites. Wow, hmm interesting comments.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN