Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My goal was to bf for at least 6 months but I think I am done at 4 months. I love that my son is attached to me but he wont take breast milk from a bottle and his night sleeping has regressed to the point that he can wake up every hour or less to eat. I have been exhausted for the last 3 weeks. And he will not stay with anyone else while i run errands or later when i go back to work or take the bottle. i start weaning him where he can not be too distressed? I fear that my exhaustion is going to impact my mothering.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:49 PM
Replies (41-50):
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Four months is the WORST.  And I am currently nursing my second dd at twenty three months, my first went to twenty months and weaned herself because I was five months pregnant.  The first six months was hard with both, but that four month growth spurt was the absolute worst.  I gave it a name- "perma-latch" lol.  This too shall pass!  And I was working and pumping by this point with both- neither loved the bottle, so guess what they did?  Nursed more when I was home in the evenings and at night :/. I would hesitate to do bottles if he doesn't like them for that reason alone- he may reverse cycle on you and nurse MORE when you do nurse, and take only the bare minimum from a bottle.  Not to mention how much pumping regularly sucks (no pun intended). You can make it through this- it gets easier the older they get I promise!  By nine to twelve months if you're still nursing you'll be on here asking why he only nurses for a few minutes and if that is okay ;). You are doing good, you might want to look into co sleeping if you don't already, that is the only way I got any sleep.

melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Way to go getting to four months!
Sounds like you've got a high needs baby!!! I've got one to!! Not fun. Babies personality is very different from feeding method. My lo will take a bottle but shes a snacker and can only handle an ozish even from a bottle. At 8mo she usually is up 5-6 times but tonight we're over 10 times. She won't let others hold her if I leave her she gets.hysterical. I definetly feel your pain!
Exclusive pumping is certaintly something you can look into. Theres alot of info in the sticky that was already mentioned. I pumped for 6mo with my first and won't ever do that again!!
if you don't already bed share you may want to consider it. Babywearing during the day can be extremely helpful. If you need to get out then go, nurse before you leave. Leave an oz per hr you plan to be gone tell caregiver no calling/texting unless theres blood or fire :)
RaevynEvermore
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Don't listen to these ladies. You do what you want to do. You won't be any less of a mother if you want a little break, hell, I'm sure you deserve it! I'm contemplating doing the same because of the pain I'm going through.

You and your baby will be just fine with whatever decision you make :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Britania
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:32 AM
Edited to add, I REALLY hated cleaning all those bottles and pumping parts too!

What you say about punping isn't true for all people. I exclusively pumped for my first baby and I was always able to pump 6 oz in less than 10 minutes from just one side. I used to pump every 4-6 hours during the day. (it was all dependent on my schedule).
I guess it just depends on the person.

Quoting larissalarie:

Honestly exclusively pumping is all the harder parts of bf & ff combined. It's very difficult to maintain very long because a pump isn't as effective as a baby so over time you pump less and less milk in the same time because your body perceives the less demanding pump as less demand for milk and respond by reducing supply.

So to have a decent chance at maintaining it at least a few months you MUST pump every 2 hours during the day (so you have to schedule outings around a pump schedule) and wake up to pump eery 3 hours overnight...in addition to actually bottle feeding and waking up when the baby wakes up.

Quoting caelsmom16:

Im actually not wanting to introduce formula, just wanting to pump more and only bf in am and nites. Wow, hmm interesting comments.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Happyinthesun88
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:48 AM
Try using different brands of bottles. My daughter would only take mamas milk from MAM bottles. MAM bottles are designed with nursing moms in mind, the nipple is completely different from all the other ones I've seen. And if your baby doesn't want to drink anything while you're away that's okay, some babies just prefer to wait until momma comes back. My daughter was like that for awhile. Good luck hun and bed sharing works wonders when it comes to getting enough sleep.
melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:28 AM
3 moms liked this
Just curious how much experience you have breastfeeding and/or exclusively pumping.
Making a broad statement like "don't listen to these ladies" and then offering your opinion is implying you have a greater knowledge/understanding then the previous posters.
While the delivery of some ppls opinions was certainly harsher then what it should/needed to be it doesn't make their information/experience/opinion suddenly in correct.
You don't know that her baby and her will be fine she could have a poor pump response and need to supplement which carries risks. On the flip side she could do great. No one knows until/if she goes down that road.

Quoting RaevynEvermore:

Don't listen to these ladies. You do what you want to do. You won't be any less of a mother if you want a little break, hell, I'm sure you deserve it! I'm contemplating doing the same because of the pain I'm going through.

RaevynEvermore
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I read through the first two pages of comments and saw nothing but ladies being mean, which is why I told her not to listen to them. I wasn't implying everyone was wrong, but more of the ’don't listen to the bullies’ approach.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Just curious how much experience you have breastfeeding and/or exclusively pumping.

Making a broad statement like "don't listen to these ladies" and then offering your opinion is implying you have a greater knowledge/understanding then the previous posters.

While the delivery of some ppls opinions was certainly harsher then what it should/needed to be it doesn't make their information/experience/opinion suddenly in correct.

You don't know that her baby and her will be fine she could have a poor pump response and need to supplement which carries risks. On the flip side she could do great. No one knows until/if she goes down that road.

Quoting RaevynEvermore:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:08 AM

HUGS momma you made it through the first few weeks and THAT shows you arent being selfish.  Go back and read my post and see if its helpful

Quoting caelsmom16:

The ironic part of my pist and the nature of women/mom support groups is that we Suort one another. Becoming a mother has taught me two great lessons no two babies are the same and no two experiences are the same. Its great many of you hold such strong convictions about bfing, so do I or i would be in this group but word to the wise unless you've forgotten bfing moms with newborns dont need lectures on being Selfish. Really. Selfishness. Thanks to some of you for your kind words of encouragement and helpful tips. Those words are what givves me the courage to keep going!

livingdeadmom
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
sorry to go of topic but my 19 month old is a cael too :)
justone_jen
by Jen on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM
This is the only rude comment I've seen. I'm really confused at why so many think the OP is being bashed.

Telling someone their baby is being a baby and that this is normal behavior doesn't equate to bullying. It isn't even mean. When one asks for advice, they should expect to receive it. Advice doesn't always come sugar coated and spoon fed. Thicken your skin, ladies. Constructive criticism is to be expected when you ask for advice.

OP, Larissa and Silka said everything I would have. Hang in there. :)

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

It's part of your job as mom. I think it's selfish to do. Can you bed share and nurse while you sleep?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)