Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
trying to wean ds from the boobie, but continue giving him bm from the bottle. not sure how to switch over, can anybody help me?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Replies (11-19):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Any particular reason why you want to switch to pumping and bottle feeding at this point? 

junebaby11
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:06 AM
Yeah,why pumping takes dedication and my dd is 17 months,now i know i wouldnt have made it to a year if i did that

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Any particular reason why you want to switch to pumping and bottle feeding at this point? 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
soulofsunmama
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:20 AM
I am so amazed at the dedication it takes and that you and every mama has to do this.
All my respect!

Op, good luck to you....if you don't *have* to ep, maybe do more research before taking that path!

Quoting piwife:

Nope, especially cuz as baby gets bigger pumping output drops. You need to pump every 2 hrs. Every 3 at night if you skip a session your supply takes a dip. That means having your pump with you at all times. All times. I went to disney yep pump went with me, road trips pump went with me. If I was going anywhere longer then 2 hrs pump went with me.

Quoting larissalarie:

The pump is only about 10-20% as effective as an actually nursing baby, so the tendency is to get alot when you first start exclusively pumping and results quickly diminish as your body perceives less demand, so you gradually get less and less and need to pump a lot to get enough. (plus most babies eat every few hours anyway)

It might work for you though! Some can, most can't. Good luck!

Quoting whoopsie16:

wow really??

so if i pump at the times he usually eats now,or an hour before, it wont work?

Quoting larissalarie:

Just try giving him a bottle, if he takes it then just eep it up, but expect he might still want to nurse also for awhile :-) If he doesn't like it,, keep offering in addition to nursing until he accepts the bottle.

Exclusive pumping is a very tough road, be prepared. You need to pump every 2 hours in the day and every 3 overnight to maintain supply for any length of time. Good luck mamma!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whoopsie16
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:25 AM
yeah, I probably wont but I'm going to do a little more research before I give up on that idea

Quoting soulofsunmama:

I am so amazed at the dedication it takes and that you and every mama has to do this.

All my respect!

Op, good luck to you....if you don't *have* to ep, maybe do more research before taking that path!

Quoting piwife:

Nope, especially cuz as baby gets bigger pumping output drops. You need to pump every 2 hrs. Every 3 at night if you skip a session your supply takes a dip. That means having your pump with you at all times. All times. I went to disney yep pump went with me, road trips pump went with me. If I was going anywhere longer then 2 hrs pump went with me.

Quoting larissalarie:

The pump is only about 10-20% as effective as an actually nursing baby, so the tendency is to get alot when you first start exclusively pumping and results quickly diminish as your body perceives less demand, so you gradually get less and less and need to pump a lot to get enough. (plus most babies eat every few hours anyway)

Quoting whoopsie16:

wow really??

Quoting larissalarie:

Just try giving him a bottle, if he takes it then just eep it up, but expect he might still want to nurse also for awhile :-) If he doesn't like it,, keep offering in addition to nursing until he accepts the bottle.

Exclusive pumping is a very tough road, be prepared. You need to pump every 2 hours in the day and every 3 overnight to maintain supply for any length of time. Good luck mamma!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:38 AM

What issues are you having that makes you want to begin EPing?   Maybe we can help with those issues?   :)

Quoting whoopsie16:

yeah, I probably wont but I'm going to do a little more research before I give up on that idea

Quoting soulofsunmama:

All my respect!

Quoting piwife:

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting whoopsie16:

wow really??

Quoting larissalarie:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
celestegood
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Eping is a pain in the butt. Just nursing is much easier as time goes on. But you have to pump every two hours and every three at night even when baby is sleeping. So if you are pumping and baby starts sleeping through you still wake up to pump. Have you been having problems you would like help with so you can avoid pumping?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Whoopsie, we can probably help oyu better if we know what goal you're trying to achieve.

whoopsie16
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:21 PM
no, i was just being lazy! lol
ds goes with me EVERYWHERE no matter what. i had WKCES and my mom said shed pick me up to feed him (her house was justa block from where the test is) and the first time she did, but the second time she didnt and refused to bring him to the library where the test was and it was too cold out so she formula fed him (which pissed me off) and it got me thinking maybe I should just start pumping alltogether then if someone wants to watch him itll be easy to just give them the bottles..

Quoting gdiamante:

Whoopsie, we can probably help oyu better if we know what goal you're trying to achieve.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Quoting whoopsie16:

no, i was just being lazy! lol
Ahh. **grin** Straight from the tap is the "lazy" mom's route. When baby starts spacing the feeds out more you get to relax.

ds goes with me EVERYWHERE no matter what. i had WKCES and my mom said shed pick me up to feed him (her house was justa block from where the test is) and the first time she did, but the second time she didnt and refused to bring him to the library where the test was and it was too cold out so she formula fed him (which pissed me off) and it got me thinking maybe I should just start pumping alltogether then if someone wants to watch him itll be easy to just give them the bottles..
You can pump to leave milk for mom. Going against your wishes is grounds for revocation of grandma privileges, you know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)