Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

finally made it past 3 months

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:53 AM
  • 7 Replies

I have 4 kids and I was only able to nurse my oldest for 6 weeks and then I had to stop because I had nowhere to pump where I worked. My second son I was able to nurse just past 3 months and I pumped at work for him but I wasn't producing enough for him and the pediatrician wanted us to start him on formula instead. My 2 year old daughter nursed just over a month and then I had to be hospitalized and wasn't able to pump. I fought hard after I returned home to pump and nurse and try to re-establish my breast milk but I ended up giving up after a month of no sleep and a very hungry little girl that I would just end up giving a bottle of formula to so she wasn't starving. Our newest daughter has been nursing really well from the start and I just got the ok from her pediatrician to start her on solids. She will be 5 months old on the 28th. I am so happy I have finally been able to nurse much longer than any of the other kids.

We started giving her a little rice cereal in pumped breast milk in the bottle earlier this week and last night my dh gave her sweet potatoes at supper time and then gave her the rest of the sweet potatoes with some cereal around 8pm. She nursed after that and then around midnight I gave her more cereal in her bottle of pumped breast milk and she slept from 1am to 5am when my dh got up with her. She did not like the sweet peas we tried giving her today and barely ate any of it. We will try that again another day and go back to sweet potatoes tomorrow.

So I am just going to keep nursing and pumping and hopefully I can make it to her 1 year birthday that is my goal. If we do we do if not that is ok too.

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Way to go making it this far!
Mama dr gave you bad advice. No solids before 6mo.
You should never put cereal in the bottle, and baby should never receive a bottle when your home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:58 AM
This, also when you do start solids, you should nurse first. Solids first will fill her up and she won't nurse as much and breast milk should still be the number one source if nutrition for a year. It could also hurt your supply. Congrats on making this far!

Quoting melindabelcher:

You should never put cereal in the bottle, and baby should never receive a bottle when your home.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM
This!

Quoting melindabelcher:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:02 AM

WHOO HOO momma wtg!!

NO SOLIDS!! Pediatrician gave you bad advice before about going to formula, why trust with BFing info now? Solids for BF babies should not be started til 6 months per the American academy of pediatrics and world health organization, your doctor is going against his own medical boards recommendations!

Rice cereal is NOT good for BF babies, it will cause anemia.  WHen you give solids you must FULLY nurse before giving solids.  Cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard, not a good idea either.

If you want to make it to a year heres my advice thats tried and true.  When able to nurse NURE, no bottles, no solids til 6 months then give small amounts after a full nursing.  Pump when away from baby and make sure baby only gets 2-3 oz every 2-3 hours.

ncoates04
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:17 AM
I am really happy for you for making it this far....but you have just began to sabatage your breastfeeding relationship...the cereal is a magor no no let alone putting it in the bottle...the amount and number of times you are giving solids is another major issue...and everytime you give her a bottle and you don't pump at that time you are decreasing your supply...you also are decreasing your supply each time you give solids first

If you continue with what your doing I give it 2 maybe 3 months before you start having weight gain issues and then your dr. Will tell you that you need to switch to formula

This dr is extremly uneducated with breastfeeding and is setting your child up for several health issues
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM

YAYA for making it this far!

I agree with the others. Cereal in a bottle is a big no-no! Solids before 6 months is not good either!

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-how/

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:

• Baby can sit up well without support.
  • Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
  • Baby is ready and willing to chew.
  • Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
  • Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-when/

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:11 PM
Way to go on making it this far! :-)
I after with the others about the bottles and solids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)