Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

In so much pain!

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:54 AM
  • 11 Replies
My 7 month old has been refusing to stay asleep through the night since the beginning of the month. I still can't figure out what happened to her sleep but the reason why I'm in pain is because only at night when I feed her she does this thing to my nipples where she either chews or runs them (I can't figure out what) until they have blister and I'm about crying from the pain. I have no idea why she started doing to or why it only happens at night but I'm about ready to stop breast feeding because of it. The pain is so intense it's almost unbearable. And her not sleeping Islam it so much worse. I really don't know what to do. But I'm exhausted and in too much pain. Can anyone help?
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:06 AM
I wish I could help but dd 6.5 months is all or a sudden needing to nurse throughout the night -a lot. It starte when she turned 6 months.
I think it's bc she's teething. I don't know how many more nights I can make it.
Best of lck that someone on here can help you!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:31 AM
Sounds like teething.
If baby isn't nursing correctly baby doesn't nurse.
jakesmom323
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:35 AM
Medella Therashells are great to get give your nipples room to heal in between feedings. It sounds like a latching issue.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Quoting Frankiemort:

My 7 month old has been refusing to stay asleep through the night since the beginning of the month.
If she stayed asleep throught the night at any point consider yourself lucky. **smile** Changes in sleep pattern are normal.
I still can't figure out what happened to her sleep but the reason why I'm in pain is because only at night when I feed her she does this thing to my nipples where she either chews or runs them (I can't figure out what)
Welcome to teething. The great sleep killer and nipple wounder. Teething tablets will be a great help.
until they have blister and I'm about crying from the pain. I have no idea why she started doing to or why it only happens at night but I'm about ready to stop breast feeding because of it. The pain is so intense it's almost unbearable. And her not sleeping Islam it so much worse. I really don't know what to do. But I'm exhausted and in too much pain. Can anyone help?

Teething pain is worse at night. Nibbling and biting relieve the teething pain, so that's why shes doing it. Teething tablets before bed.

CassaNova
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM

ok so heres my opinion and it prob isnt a popular one. A 7mth old first off doesnt need to be eating at night anyway..you need to teach her to sleep through the night.. though this sounds like teething. Im not a fan of crying it out and i never did that BUT when she wakes up dont get her out of bed. Go in her room and just let her know everythings fine and shes ok, talk to her then say good night. Im not saying it works right away but after a while you wont be getting up at night at all. You have to teach her to sleep. And like a previous poster said, if baby isnt nursing correctly.. she doesnt.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Quoting CassaNova:

ok so heres my opinion and it prob isnt a popular one.

Heh heh...

A 7mth old first off doesnt need to be eating at night anyway..you need to teach her to sleep through the night..

All babies learn to sleep through the night when they're ready. Some of us (like this 49 year old) never do it... 

though this sounds like teething. Im not a fan of crying it out and i never did that BUT when she wakes up dont get her out of bed. Go in her room and just let her know everythings fine and shes ok, talk to her then say good night. Im not saying it works right away but after a while you wont be getting up at night at all. You have to teach her to sleep.

I'll say that's more teaching her that you will respond to her needs. And then she'll put herself back to sleep. It's not teaching her to sleep so much. My parents did what you're recommending. As stated above... I don't sleep through the night. Never have unless seriously ill. But by age two I was pretty good at "reading" myself back to sleep (looking at books). My son's the same way. I've only had to get up for his Wes Craven nosebleeds, and not even for that any more now that he's 13 (and still not sleeping all night).

And like a previous poster said, if baby isnt nursing correctly.. she doesnt.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:59 PM
This! Teething remedies and nursing manners are needed.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Frankiemort:

My 7 month old has been refusing to stay asleep through the night since the beginning of the month.
If she stayed asleep throught the night at any point consider yourself lucky. **smile** Changes in sleep pattern are normal.
I still can't figure out what happened to her sleep but the reason why I'm in pain is because only at night when I feed her she does this thing to my nipples where she either chews or runs them (I can't figure out what)
Welcome to teething. The great sleep killer and nipple wounder. Teething tablets will be a great help.
until they have blister and I'm about crying from the pain. I have no idea why she started doing to or why it only happens at night but I'm about ready to stop breast feeding because of it. The pain is so intense it's almost unbearable. And her not sleeping Islam it so much worse. I really don't know what to do. But I'm exhausted and in too much pain. Can anyone help?

Teething pain is worse at night. Nibbling and biting relieve the teething pain, so that's why shes doing it. Teething tablets before bed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:21 PM
STTN? What's that? My 18 month old has never slept through the night.

I get blisters sometimes for similar reasons. It's caused by a bad latch. Most likely she had a bad latch once & that caused it - they take a while to heal. Have you checked out the Kellymom page?

Olive oil before nursing or an Epsom salt soak (can also do soak after nursing), nipple creams, or even neosporin (wash off before nursing) helps. It's not recommended, but I usually end up popping mine. It is very painful for about 48 hours after then it starts to heal better.

Remember - this too will pass. It will slowly heal & not be painful anymore soon.
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I found that popping a Hyland's Teething Pill (I used Chamomile Pills, too, with great success) into DS's mouth 30 seconds before nursing would calm him down enough to have a relatively pain-free nursing session whilst he was teething.

Frankiemort
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Thanks for the tips! I'm definitely gonna try those teething pills! Maybe it will help her sleep again? Does anyone know how long it takes to get a tooth in? I feel like she's been teething for months now and she still doesn't have anything yet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)