Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

pump and dump or can he still have my milk?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:29 AM
  • 24 Replies

i have some kind of stomach bug. its terrible been up all night with cramps and throwing up and running to and from the bathroom. fortionately i had enough pumped from when he wouldnt latch to give him my milk last night and the next feeding, but with this bug can he still have my milk? i have formula just in case from before i had a breast pump and he wouldnt latch and i didnt know how to hand express but i really dont want to give him formula. this is a huge set back for us since i really dont want to touch him and give him this. so do i have to pump and dump or can i atleast pump and let dh feed him my milk? sorry probably stupid question but this is the first time ive bf and not sure how things like this work.

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bren07
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Keep nursing, you will give him antibotis from your milk.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Nurse! Your milk has antibodies to help her if she does catch what you have! Don't worry about pumping just nurse!
Lizzys_mommy13
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Keep nursing! He gets antibodies from you. :)

mommytotwinz
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM

will he catch what i have? that's my biggest concern hes only 3 weeks old i dont want him getting sick already. this is around the time my twins got sick when they were infants and they wound up in the hospital i dont want him to be the same especially since this is much worse than the simple cold my twins wound up with when they were infants.

kitty8199
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM
He will get antibodies for it from your milk. You're body is producing them as we speak to fight it. Baby gets them from your milk specific to the illness.

Quoting mommytotwinz:

will he catch what i have? that's my biggest concern hes only 3 weeks old i dont want him getting sick already. this is around the time my twins got sick when they were infants and they wound up in the hospital i dont want him to be the same especially since this is much worse than the simple cold my twins wound up with when they were infants.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ptowncards05
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:37 AM
I had a stomach bug thursday never once pumped and dumped, just kept on nursing. His dad did give about 2oz once so I could sleep some. He's just fine, that was the second stomach bug I've had since he was born.
melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM
He has a higher chance of getting sick by drinking formula and previously expressed milk.
Put him right to breast he'll get the anti bodies and have less chance of getting stick and milder if he does catch it.
Hope your feeling better soon mama!
mommytotwinz
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM

ty guys things are super different from ff and bf with ff just coming in contact with my newborns once gave them what i had.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM

nurse nurse nurse its even more important that you nurse NOW, he will get immunities NOT the illness

DONT pump, its important that he get it fresh from the breast

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Consider it mandatory to nurse when you're sick... first, it keeps you from adding mastitis to your woes, and it gives him the antibodies. Pumping only adds more work.

If you've been handling him before you exhibited symptoms, he was as exposed as possible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)