Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I have an issue.  I have big breasts with flat nipples and a nipple shield/shell doesn't work.  My son refused to latch at birth and still refuses to latch.  I pump every four hours for an hour with a double breast pump.  I am not producing as much as I need too and because of it my child has formula though the day and breast milk at 3am and 9pm....What can I do to help stimulate my milk production?  My husband helps massage and everything like that but it doesn't really help!!!

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Replies (31-40):
TraisonsMommy
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Only reason I did the formula is bc of my production.  I don't want my son on it!  I just need to find different ways to stimulate so he can be taken off the formula!  Thinking about my pedi telling me about the cereal has made me call my Dr. office and left a message about changing his doctor.

BrittM1988
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:45 PM

You should also be pumping as if he was feeding, every 2-3 hours for 15 min on each side. No more time then that. Definently not for an hour hun, that will no nothing by hurt your breasts. As for the output, pumping is no indication, a nipple shell should really help with your flat nipples, maybe try one again? And as for big breasts being the problem, I am a DD also and my son has nursed perfectly for 10 months now.. I would stop the formula, and def stop the cereal, and just constantly, nurse or pump and only give him breastmilk.

eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Ok, I tried replying earlier, but somehow ended up on the wrong post! Pumping is hard, and the only way to up your supply us to increase your pumping sessions. I did it for 3 months before I was able to get baby back on the breast. Good luck, and don't give up on getting baby on the breast:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TraisonsMommy
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I'll pick up another one and try it again.  My thing is with the size of mine, I feel as though I'm smothering him so to speak and the bobby pillow isn't helping and no matter how i hold him, i still feel as thought he's smothering.  And Thank you so much for your kind advice!!

BrittM1988
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I found the best hold id the cradle on the boppy, and remember because of their faces they will no suffocate, theur noses are flat to create little spaces to breath :) Just keep at it, remember your body is designed to nurse.

Quoting TraisonsMommy:

I'll pick up another one and try it again.  My thing is with the size of mine, I feel as though I'm smothering him so to speak and the bobby pillow isn't helping and no matter how i hold him, i still feel as thought he's smothering.  And Thank you so much for your kind advice!!

TraisonsMommy
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm about to wake him up and try to get him to latch on.  I have 2oz from pumping earlier today to give him just incase he wont latch.  And, once he's asleep Imma pump, 15 mins on each side, and then do it again about 2 hrs from now and see how it works out. 

TraisonsMommy
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I'm about to give it a shot, so wish me luck lol :)

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I'd up the pumping frequency by a lot. Every two hours daytime, every three nighttime. To get more, pumping more is needed. The less you pump, the less you'll get over time.

From your profile, he's newborn. Nowhere near too late to get him on the breast if you want... only time it's too late is if you have a double mastectomy.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Quoting TraisonsMommy:

I'm about to wake him up and try to get him to latch on.  I have 2oz from pumping earlier today to give him just incase he wont latch.  And, once he's asleep Imma pump, 15 mins on each side, and then do it again about 2 hrs from now and see how it works out. 

Please get with a lactation consultant STAT. Don't take breastfeeding advice from your doc unless he happens to be an IBCLC; we've found over the years that doctors are dangerous to breastfeeding relationships.

All the info you've been given is good... but not ONE thing will work if you're not pumping more and getting baby on the breast.

Keep in mind normal outout at the pump is half an ounce to two ounces total. More is gravy. 

And as stated before, not too late to get baby on the breast. A supplemental nursing system instead of the bottles will go a long way to that.

As a member of the large breast/flat nipple population, I can tell you that neighter is a permanent hindrance. Breast shells should become a part of your wardrobe. Wear whenever not nursing. And the Latch Assist is a genius device that draws out the nipple so baby can latch. 

Expect baby to pop off. It's fine. On and off is a supply booster. 

TraisonsMommy
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:33 PM

he did good for a few mins then got frustrated.  I gave him what i had pumped earlier today and since he's just laying down now, i guess imma pump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN