Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I have an issue.  I have big breasts with flat nipples and a nipple shield/shell doesn't work.  My son refused to latch at birth and still refuses to latch.  I pump every four hours for an hour with a double breast pump.  I am not producing as much as I need too and because of it my child has formula though the day and breast milk at 3am and 9pm....What can I do to help stimulate my milk production?  My husband helps massage and everything like that but it doesn't really help!!!

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Replies (41-50):
eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:42 PM
You learn something new everyday! I didn't know off and on was a supply booster. She just started doing that. I was starting to get worried. She's only been back on the breast a few weeks, so I'm still building my confidence in my body.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting TraisonsMommy:

I'm about to wake him up and try to get him to latch on.  I have 2oz from pumping earlier today to give him just incase he wont latch.  And, once he's asleep Imma pump, 15 mins on each side, and then do it again about 2 hrs from now and see how it works out. 

Please get with a lactation consultant STAT. Don't take breastfeeding advice from your doc unless he happens to be an IBCLC; we've found over the years that doctors are dangerous to breastfeeding relationships.

All the info you've been given is good... but not ONE thing will work if you're not pumping more and getting baby on the breast.

Keep in mind normal outout at the pump is half an ounce to two ounces total. More is gravy. 

And as stated before, not too late to get baby on the breast. A supplemental nursing system instead of the bottles will go a long way to that.

As a member of the large breast/flat nipple population, I can tell you that neighter is a permanent hindrance. Breast shells should become a part of your wardrobe. Wear whenever not nursing. And the Latch Assist is a genius device that draws out the nipple so baby can latch. 

Expect baby to pop off. It's fine. On and off is a supply booster. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BlessingsMama
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:44 PM
You ought to be pumping every 2 hours.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
newbabystarr09
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Do you have time to get in bed with baby? It's called a baby moon..He's a newborn this is a great time too..This is what you do..you are topless baby is in only a diaper you learn the breast crawl baby will learn to latch as he's breast crawling he will open his mouth wide..Nurse tummy to tummy skin to skin it will up your milk and help him and you learn to nurse..I HAD flat nipples too..As my DS learned to latch and nurse he pulled my flat nipples out and now they stay out..I guess you could say he fixed them LOL

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
newbabystarr09
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:53 PM

It is NOT to late to get your baby back to breast

TraisonsMommy
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I've heard of people talking about "tummy time" I didn't know that tummy time was that.  At this point in time I can't but when my husband gets home I'll be able too and i'll deff try that out!!!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't mind when they get frustrated. Hand express a little more.. or better, dribble the milk onto your nipple. Don't give the bottle at all. he's trying to get out of having to work for it. **smile**

90 percent of the mom gig is being "mean." It's OK.

newbabystarr09
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Sorry OP it took me so long to get back to you..DS kicked my laptop while on my lap and computer froze I had to restart LOL

I'm hoping K8wizzo or gdiamante or even one of the others will see this and jump in to explain the breast crawl and tummy 2 tummy skin to skin plus post a video of beast crawling..I looked and can't find it..I will keep try for you..It's not tummy time that's diff

Quoting newbabystarr09:

Do you have time to get in bed with baby? It's called a baby moon..He's a newborn this is a great time too..This is what you do..you are topless baby is in only a diaper you learn the breast crawl baby will learn to latch as he's breast crawling he will open his mouth wide..Nurse tummy to tummy skin to skin it will up your milk and help him and you learn to nurse..I HAD flat nipples too..As my DS learned to latch and nurse he pulled my flat nipples out and now they stay out..I guess you could say he fixed them LOL

TraisonsMommy
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:01 PM
2 moms liked this

lol mine has done the same.  I did try it though.  I placed him on my tummy and he nudged his way up like you said.  He did manage to latchand stayed for quite a bit.  I'll look and see if i can't find a video on it myself!  Thank you so much for all his information!

TraisonsMommy
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I found some on youtube

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:25 AM
I was 19 when I had my first and he didn't want to latch on well either. I had no help the whole time I was bf him. I didn't have a pump, that actually worked anyway, and had to hand express for 6 LONG weeks into a Circle K cup. I also was, and still am, big chested. DD/E I tried a couple times every day to get him to latch back on. It took 6 weeks of trying to relatch him, but he eventually did stay on. He bf for a year! He is 17 years old now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)