Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Im so jealous...nursing advise needed

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:46 PM
  • 22 Replies

My little guy will be 4 months on Tuesday and we have had our fair share of problems while trying to breastfeed. We have been through 5 lactation consultants. cracked nipples, blocked ducts, not gaining weight well, not producing enough milk, using an SNS, not latching well, nursing strike, ill fitting nipple shields..the list goes on. I am so jealous of these moms who make it look effortless. I am so stressed about it and I know thats not good for trying to make more milk when I dont make enough already. Now, he is refusing to take my left breast at all, he just screams. He has had a nursing strike in the past when I was using bottles but since I got the SNS he has not had a bottle in weeks, could this still be some sort of strike? Like I said Im just so stressed because it just never seems to get any easier.  I dont do very well with pumping and this last time between trying to get him to calm down and eat it was almost 5 hours since last time he had eaten and he only took my right breast so i know he didnt get very much so I had to pump my left side and only got an ounce and it still hurts because i have a blocked duct. Any help or support would be nice, this is almost beginning to be too much :( Thanks

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyOfTheBest2
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:47 PM
Bump, because I an blessed and I've never had these problems. Hang in there mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moogie1005
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:51 PM
I'm sorry it has been so hard for you. I hope someone has some ideas for you. Hang in there. We're all rooting for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iluvteeth77
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:59 PM
I would just keep trying with the left... If he won't take it then pump. I know some moms on here have said they only breast feed with one breast.... I have had issue myself with my 3 yo ds and my 7 1/2 week old ds.... Congrats for not giving up!! Most would have already!! I think there are more women that have experienced some sort of issue while nursing then not. Hang in there!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BraydensMom20
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:09 PM

breastfeeding is best for your baby and its so good for you too. i have had my fair share of problems with bf as well. He would wake up at 2 am and i wouldnt get back to bed until 5am because he would latch and un latch for hours.. i would get frusterated and so would he.. its gotten easier now only because practice makes perfect. Dont give up, you will look back on it and be very happy that you bf your baby and gave him all the vitamins and nutrients he needs!

adamsmama
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:13 PM

It can take a while for both of you to get the hang of it. We had a lot of issues too. I think the main thing is not to get stressed out. Do you babywear? That might help with him having easy access so he can nurse when he wants. I've also heard that pumping until you feel a letdown and then nursing can help with baby refusing the breast. Sometimes they get fussy because nothing is coming out at first. Just keep fighting the good fight. It will get easier. Once we got the hang of it it was a piece of cake and my son didn't wean until he was 3.5!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:31 PM

If you have a clog he could be pissed with the slower flow OR he could have an ear infection on that side so laying that way hurts him, have you tried another hold but that same berast?

Wow you have dealt with alot...tell me a bit about the gain and the low supply?

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:34 PM

hugs! I'm sory you keep on having issues :( We have had our fair share but got over them quickly, and we only dealt with one nursing strike and only for a few days and I knew exactly what the issue was. 

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Also, maybe try a few different nursing positions on the left side (like football hold, or laying down etc.) it may be as simple as a preference.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Quoting busterfoxy:

My little guy will be 4 months on Tuesday and we have had our fair share of problems while trying to breastfeed. We have been through 5 lactation consultants. cracked nipples, blocked ducts, not gaining weight well, not producing enough milk, using an SNS, not latching well, nursing strike, ill fitting nipple shields..the list goes on. I am so jealous of these moms who make it look effortless.

Heh heh... don't be. We all have our struggles at one time or another. The piper WILL be paid.

I am so stressed about it and I know thats not good for trying to make more milk when I dont make enough already. Now, he is refusing to take my left breast at all, he just screams.

That's OK. He doesn't need to take it.

He has had a nursing strike in the past when I was using bottles but since I got the SNS he has not had a bottle in weeks, could this still be some sort of strike?

Just side preference. Normal. And it can switch at the drop of a hat. Nothing to be concerned about really.

Like I said Im just so stressed because it just never seems to get any easier.

The entire Mom Gig can be described thus. It never gets easier, the challenges merely change.

I dont do very well with pumping and this last time between trying to get him to calm down and eat it was almost 5 hours since last time he had eaten and he only took my right breast so i know he didnt get very much so I had to pump my left side and only got an ounce and it still hurts because i have a blocked duct. Any help or support would be nice, this is almost beginning to be too much :( Thanks

How many dipes per day are you changing? That's the main emphasis. 

Gain should be four ounces per week from lowest, that's all.

You may be doing better than you know. Going to read the rest of this thread now.

busterfoxy
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

If you have a clog he could be pissed with the slower flow OR he could have an ear infection on that side so laying that way hurts him, have you tried another hold but that same berast?

Wow you have dealt with alot...tell me a bit about the gain and the low supply?

He was slow to gain in the beginning but is gaining great now and is a little chubby cheeks! My breasts have never felt full except overnight so I rented a scale specifically for weighing before and after a feed. i started weighing him once I got off using the nipple shield and wanting to stop using bottles...which led to the nursing strike. I started using the SNS and wieghing him and in a day he wouold get about 20 oz of breastmilk and 8 oz of formula from the SNS. i tried getting away from the SNS for  a couple days but his diapers were not enough so I startted using it again. I would pump after feeding and get only a few drops. I am now taking fenugreek, pumping after feeding, drinking lots of water and drinking mothers milk tea. The SNS is such a pain i wanted to get away from it but it allows him to stay on longer becasue otherwise he gets the initial letdown and will just latch and un latch and then start crying...any ideas? also, recently he has been spitting up alot at one time, like he will nurse the right breast i will try nd burp him and he will spit up what looks like most of what he got off that breast and now he wont take the left breast and im concerned he isnt eating enough 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)