Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

help!

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:50 PM
  • 4 Replies

My baby will be 2 weeks tomorrow and he's on a nursing strike. He does try sometimes but all he does is scream so I have been pumping as well as supplementing with formula. I have met with 3 different lc's and I am meeting with another tomorrow. He nursed for the first 5 days and since has stopped. He was hospitalized days 3-5 bc he has coombs disease and needed phototherapy. I used nippleshields which worked great until we got home. I have been pumping and putting it into a bottle for him but I feel like I am not getting anything! I only pump 1-2oz every 2-4 hours. And 2oz is really pushing it. Is that normal? I feel like I should be producing a lot more. I have my heart set on nursing for atleast a year so this has been very devestating. Any advice is appreciated!

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:54 PM
You can do this.... how exactly does he act when you try to offer the breast? Have you been using bottles? I eped for 8 weeks because my son wouldn't nurse and since 8 weeks he's only had bottles if i am not around. He refused to nurse until on day i offered and he latched and now he's 5 months!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM
And the pump output is normal. Most moms get .5-2 oz combined for a missed feeding.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Quoting aly110112:

My baby will be 2 weeks tomorrow and he's on a nursing strike. He does try sometimes but all he does is scream so I have been pumping as well as supplementing with formula.

The bottles themselves are very likely the root of your problem. He's resisting because he doesn't want to work for it. It calls for outstubborning him to a certain degree.

I have met with 3 different lc's and I am meeting with another tomorrow. He nursed for the first 5 days and since has stopped. He was hospitalized days 3-5 bc he has coombs disease and needed phototherapy.

Did he get bottles during that time?

I used nippleshields which worked great until we got home.

Why the shields?

I have been pumping and putting it into a bottle for him but I feel like I am not getting anything! I only pump 1-2oz every 2-4 hours.

Normal. Pump every two hours please.

And 2oz is really pushing it. Is that normal?

Half an ounce to two ounces is normal. You're fine there. The problem is the bottles.

I feel like I should be producing a lot more.

Not really. 

I have my heart set on nursing for atleast a year so this has been very devestating. Any advice is appreciated!

Ask the lactation consultant for a Supplemental Nursing System. You will evict bottles in favor of those. If she doesn't know what that is, thank her for her time and leave immediately. A lactation consultant worth her certification will know what it is and will tell you to avoid bottles.

For now... dribble milk onto the nipple. Even pump a tiny bit before latching. Be looking for the first sign of hunger... if he's crying you've waited too long already.

Mine refused to nurse for two solid weeks. We simply kept trying and I made sure to offer the breast before he seemed really hungry. At 14 days, the light went on in his head and he stayed on... for the next five weeks with hardly a break!

It takes stubbornness, but it's doable.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM
This. All of this.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting aly110112:

My baby will be 2 weeks tomorrow and he's on a nursing strike. He does try sometimes but all he does is scream so I have been pumping as well as supplementing with formula.

The bottles themselves are very likely the root of your problem. He's resisting because he doesn't want to work for it. It calls for outstubborning him to a certain degree.

I have met with 3 different lc's and I am meeting with another tomorrow. He nursed for the first 5 days and since has stopped. He was hospitalized days 3-5 bc he has coombs disease and needed phototherapy.

Did he get bottles during that time?

I used nippleshields which worked great until we got home.

Why the shields?

I have been pumping and putting it into a bottle for him but I feel like I am not getting anything! I only pump 1-2oz every 2-4 hours.

Normal. Pump every two hours please.

And 2oz is really pushing it. Is that normal?

Half an ounce to two ounces is normal. You're fine there. The problem is the bottles.

I feel like I should be producing a lot more.

Not really. 

I have my heart set on nursing for atleast a year so this has been very devestating. Any advice is appreciated!

Ask the lactation consultant for a Supplemental Nursing System. You will evict bottles in favor of those. If she doesn't know what that is, thank her for her time and leave immediately. A lactation consultant worth her certification will know what it is and will tell you to avoid bottles.

For now... dribble milk onto the nipple. Even pump a tiny bit before latching. Be looking for the first sign of hunger... if he's crying you've waited too long already.

Mine refused to nurse for two solid weeks. We simply kept trying and I made sure to offer the breast before he seemed really hungry. At 14 days, the light went on in his head and he stayed on... for the next five weeks with hardly a break!

It takes stubbornness, but it's doable.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)