Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

need some help/advice

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:04 PM
  • 39 Replies

my daughter Abigail is a month old and I have been struggling to get her to nurse exclusively. She will nurse on both breasts for about 30 min to an hour and still want 1-4 ounces on top of that. How can I get her to nurse exclusively and be satified to where I am not having to pump after her nursing to give her a bottle? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Me and her have already gotten her improper latch corrected (she corrected it her self I am surprized).

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christineT79
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I would stop giving bottles & just keep nursing. She may be going through a growth spurt & will just want to keep nursing to tell your body to make more milk. Good luck momma.

TheMommaJessie
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:16 PM

she will go to sleep after nursing but as soon as i move her to put her in her cradle or resituate she wakes up and cries until i give her a bottle (she won't take her pacifier when she does that i tried) she also keeps falling asleep when I am nursing her is that normal or no? I am top heavy big time I will have to figure out how to nurse in public and not sure how to do that.  I make about 4 ounces every 3 hours.

Quoting christineT79:

I would stop giving bottles & just keep nursing. She may be going through a growth spurt & will just want to keep nursing to tell your body to make more milk. Good luck momma.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this
She'a not supposed to be satisfied, she's a newborn! Topping her off is overfeeding, so now what happens is she will expect that top off because her belly is used to the stretched feeling. Just keep nursing, and if she still seems hungry, put her back on the breast. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christineT79
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Quoting TheMommaJessie:

she will go to sleep after nursing but as soon as i move her to put her in her cradle or resituate she wakes up and cries until i give her a bottle (she won't take her pacifier when she does that i tried) she also keeps falling asleep when I am nursing her is that normal or no? I am top heavy big time I will have to figure out how to nurse in public and not sure how to do that.  I make about 4 ounces every 3 hours.

Quoting christineT79:

You can try different things to keep her awake while nursing like skin to skin contact (take off all of her clothes besides her diaper & put her right on your bare body). When my daughter was a newborn she would fall asleep while nursing & I would pat her butt & she would wake up just enough to suckle & then fall asleep again & I would just keep patting her butt. You can also tickle her feet when she falls asleep. It is very normal for a baby her age to fall asleep while nursing. Bottle feeding at this point can really affect your supply & breastfeeding relationship so my best piece of advice is just keep nursing. When ever she is hungry give her the breast even if it's 5 minutes after she just ate. Nursing on demand is the best way to do it. Ohh & making 4 oz of milk every 3 hours is considered alot of milk so dont worry about her not getting enough. You are made to be enough for her just trust your body & keep nursing, nursing, nursing. Good luck :)

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I'm thinking there may still be a problem with her latch and she is not transfering milk well. While it is true that babies this age seem to need to nurse non-stop, nursing an hour and taking a bottle after that seems like a bit much.

How many times in 24 hrs is she nursing?

Do you give the bottle after every breastfeeding, or just some?

Has she been evaluated for tongue tie?

newbabystarr09
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM

The more you nurse the more you make milk..It's a demand thing..If you want to EBF you have to stop giving the bottles

CafeMom Tickers  

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

TheMommaJessie
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM

thanks for the input. she loves hearing my heart beat more then skin to skin but she does not like her feet messed with and all that. The pumping along with her nursing seems to have kicked my supply in to over drive. I have 16 ounces of milk I had to freeze as to not over run my fridge and need to freeze some more because most mornings I will pump 8 ounces (she typically sleeps in an hour later then I do because she stays up all night with gas and I have a 2 year old son to take care of in the mornings) and if it is too hectic of a day I sometimes forget to pump (try to let her nurse on demand) and when i do finally pump it is 6-8 ounces. I am amazed I am getting so much milk with my son it took me 2 months to get 4 ounces at a pumping.

Quoting christineT79:

Quoting TheMommaJessie:

Quoting christineT79:

You can try different things to keep her awake while nursing like skin to skin contact (take off all of her clothes besides her diaper & put her right on your bare body). When my daughter was a newborn she would fall asleep while nursing & I would pat her butt & she would wake up just enough to suckle & then fall asleep again & I would just keep patting her butt. You can also tickle her feet when she falls asleep. It is very normal for a baby her age to fall asleep while nursing. Bottle feeding at this point can really affect your supply & breastfeeding relationship so my best piece of advice is just keep nursing. When ever she is hungry give her the breast even if it's 5 minutes after she just ate. Nursing on demand is the best way to do it. Ohh & making 4 oz of milk every 3 hours is considered alot of milk so dont worry about her not getting enough. You are made to be enough for her just trust your body & keep nursing, nursing, nursing. Good luck :)

iluvteeth77
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Curious about tongue tie as well. My 3yo ds was tongue tied and we didn't find out until He was about 3 wks and wasn't gaining.... He ate constantly but I didn't know any different. He was my first so I didn't know how my breasts would feel full vs empty.... He cried because he was so hungry and I didn't realize he wasnt getting enough. Once it was clipped he started gaining finally and didn't eat constantly!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

I'm thinking there may still be a problem with her latch and she is not transfering milk well. While it is true that babies this age seem to need to nurse non-stop, nursing an hour and taking a bottle after that seems like a bit much.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMommaJessie
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:13 PM

i try to get her to nurse at every feeding but half the time she will refuse to nurse or be too tired to nurse. Haven't had her evaluated for tounge tie what is that? she gets something from a bottle after every nursing but it is sometimes 15 min to an hour later.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

TheMommaJessie
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:16 PM

she is gaining like crazy at birth she was 6 pounds 15 ounces at discharge (2 days later) she was 6 pounds 5 ounces and as of yesterday she was 8 pounds 6 ounces.

Quoting iluvteeth77:

Curious about tongue tie as well. My 3yo ds was tongue tied and we didn't find out until He was about 3 wks and wasn't gaining.... He ate constantly but I didn't know any different. He was my first so I didn't know how my breasts would feel full vs empty.... He cried because he was so hungry and I didn't realize he wasnt getting enough. Once it was clipped he started gaining finally and didn't eat constantly!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)