Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What's you're opinion on this?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM
  • 18 Replies
So I was talking with my friend about her NICU experience at Walter Reed and she said that all parents, even those who chose not to bf were asked/strongly advised to pump colostrum at the very least while babies were there.

She then posted about it on fb and got lots of nasty comments about how it's taking away moms choice. What do you think?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

They're advised,not forced.How is that taking away the mom's choice?! Some people are so touchy it's crazy.

Nolanzo
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:21 PM
I think its ok to make the suggestion but the mothers choice needs to be respected and hounding her about it is not appropriate if her mind is already made up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slashteddy
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I can understand why they do so. Even if not breastfeeding, colostrum is EXTREMELY nutritious and can really REALLY benefit babies, ESPECIALLY those who have to go to NICU. It can really speed up their recovery. I don't think it's taking away mom's choice unless they require it.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Unless they were physically strapped to a chair and forced to pump, I don't see the big deal. There's nothing better for a premie and/or NICU baby than liquid gold! And I think it's great that the hospital acknowledges how much those babies need the colostrum/bm, considering how many other hospitals are too quick to shove bottles of formula in the baby's mouths!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:31 PM
It's just nicu babies. They are not forced to pump but the colostrum is an integral part of the plan of care and it is very strongly encouraged with information and research as to why they are asking for this. (Think of it like a c section. Mom has the option to say no but when it's medically necessary the docs are doing everything they can to get mom to agree). They provide the pump, a private room and all the supplies. They never force mom to latch if she doesn't want to.
celticgodess
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:39 PM

BF is a very personal choice, but I can't imagine any mom not wanting to do EVERYTHING you possibly could for your child if they needed to be in the NICU!

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Show them this picture of a baby with NEC:

http://www.bestforbabes.org/what-is-the-who-code

The risk of NEC for premiees who get formula instead of colostrum/breast milk is HUGE!

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:05 AM
4 moms liked this
Oh no, how dare we advise moms to do what will help a medically fragile child!! Not that!
We should also stop advising pregnant women to avoid alcohol and smoking because gosh that's their choice...who cares if another human has to live the consequences!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:19 AM
I agree.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Unless they were physically strapped to a chair and forced to pump, I don't see the big deal. There's nothing better for a premie and/or NICU baby than liquid gold! And I think it's great that the hospital acknowledges how much those babies need the colostrum/bm, considering how many other hospitals are too quick to shove bottles of formula in the baby's mouths!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MoeksieNature
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I totally cracked up laughing when reading your replies! I was a Mommy whose baby ended up in NICU when she was born prem at 34 weeks. I would do anything humanly possible to give her a chance to get healthy quickly. If its medically necessary then I believe most women would do it. Its different seeing your tiny baby hooked up to monitors and drips and a a tube going through her nose into her stomach. When they are placed in that situation I bet they'd sing a different song. It hits you right in the gut! So Moms who've been spared the NICU part, have no feet to stand on... Just my opinion...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)