Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What's you're opinion on this?

Posted by   + Show Post
So I was talking with my friend about her NICU experience at Walter Reed and she said that all parents, even those who chose not to bf were asked/strongly advised to pump colostrum at the very least while babies were there.

She then posted about it on fb and got lots of nasty comments about how it's taking away moms choice. What do you think?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Replies (11-18):
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:39 AM
The NICU I worked in gave every baby under a certain weight either donor milk or mom's milk. I like that. I think that educating these women on the risks and benefits of colostrum/breast milk vs formula and then encouraging these women to make the better medical decision is great. The mom's deserve to know. Informed consent and all. Many people think that formula is completely safe, which is statistically isn't true at all.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this
It's the best medicine. And i had pre e with my firsy and had to be induced at 31 weeks. Right when they started the induction they had a lactation consultant come tell me about the benefits breast milk would have for my preemie. That's all it took for me. They don't know what they would do until it actually happens so they have no room to make nasty comments about it.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

By the same token, it's taking mom's choice away when advising her to get prenantal care or to avoid drugs and alcohol while pregnant.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I think it's great that the hospital would give such advice to get the babies off to the best start while they are under their umbrella of care. There isn't any denying how important colostrum is to babies and there is simply no artificial equivalent of it. 

WorkingMommy931
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM

It's not taking away a choice, it's what's best. It amazes me how touchy people get when you try to encourage breastfeeding! Maybe she needs to un-friend some people!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM
Is it taking away a choice when doctors suggest chemotherapy to a cancer patient?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Eliots_momma
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:37 PM
My hospital encouraged EVERYONE to breastfeed. It is a baby friendly hospital. I don't even know if they would provide formula for nonmedical situations, the word was never even mentioned :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misasue
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:19 PM

there is law suit right now here in fl because a baby was feed formula and got nec! 

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Show them this picture of a baby with NEC:

http://www.bestforbabes.org/what-is-the-who-code

The risk of NEC for premiees who get formula instead of colostrum/breast milk is HUGE!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN