Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pediatrician tells me to stop nursing every visit!!

Posted by   + Show Post
She encourages cows milk everytime I take my son in and almost looks down on me cuz I'm still nursing...it's like look I know he is 14 months old but he LOVES his boobs!!... I have recently heard how bad cows milk is and I'm hesitant to try it... And why should I..so the question is...do I switch peds
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Replies (21-23):
MumB
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Wow! Good to know..I might now add that I live in Arizona where its sunny like 364 1/2 days out of the year! Lol... He should be good;)

Quoting TTC2Long:

If a person is exposed to direct sunlight for 20 minutes a day, 3x/week, no vit d supplement is needed. Also, the body stores excess vit D to use during the dark winter months. Pretty neat, huh? :)

Quoting cassdw:

Pediatricians who do this at 1 year do so usually because they are afraid your baby isn't getting enough vitamin D (because of ricketts).  If you take vitamin D (or drink fortified milk) and give a vitamin D supplement to baby, then the ped shouldn't be trying to push the cow's milk.  If you reassure her that lo is getting vitamin D she should stop...otherwise, I would change pediatricians.  I would make sure I let her know why you are changing or why you are considering changing, so she understands that you are serious about giving your baby what nature intended; make her justify herself.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I havens read through the replies but I'm sure it's mentioned that your ped doesn't follow current guidelines. Get a new one. You don't ever need to intro cows milk, if you don't want to. If he is nursing at least 3 times a day he doesn't need other sources of milk. Breastmilk is awesome at this age. It fills the nutrient gaps. 

musicpisces
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:08 AM
I fully agree- it's time to switch peds. Human milk was made for human babies. Cows milk was made for cow babies. We have very different needs, and few of us can metabolize dairy without any issues. Children breastfed beyond 1 year tend to get sick less and do better in many areas. Sadly, so many peds are ignorant regarding breastfeeding, and few of their patients realize this before they get scared into weaning.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN