Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ive figured out why Ive been in so much pain, its thrush...

The pain is way too intense to want to continue bf...idk what to do...

going to try to get into the dr tomorrow

any advice? :(

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:56 AM
Replies (11-19):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Yeast is becoming very resistant to nystantin, which is why most LCs dont even recommend that moms bother with it. It can take weeks, if not months if ever, of nystantin use to control yeast overgrowth. 

Here is a link to a info sheet on thrush from kellymom.com site. It lists traditional and homeopathic treatments, and pros and cons of both. http://www.breastfeeding-basics.com/articles/yeast-infections-or-thrush

RaevynEvermore
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM
How much is gv?

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I was wondering about thrush the other day when you posted about your nipple pain. :-(

I am also a cheerleader for gentian violet. I had nipples on fire, and baby had a mouth completely coated with white yeast and we were both symptom free in 4 days, using GV protocol as explained on kellymom.com

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM

The sticker is on the bottle from when I used it with my dd 6 years ago, from Walgreens, and I paid  $3.56.  In the meantime, you can try the stuff your dr gave you for a few days and order gv pretty cheap on amazon. 

Quoting RaevynEvermore:

How much is gv?

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I was wondering about thrush the other day when you posted about your nipple pain. :-(

I am also a cheerleader for gentian violet. I had nipples on fire, and baby had a mouth completely coated with white yeast and we were both symptom free in 4 days, using GV protocol as explained on kellymom.com

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I see it on amazon for $3.29. You can try calling some local pharmacies to find it. I had to call a few as most didn't even know what it was, let alone whether they had it or not. It looks like an iodine bottle, with that stick applicator built on the cap. 

Quoting RaevynEvermore:

How much is gv?

Quoting mostlymaydays:

RaevynEvermore
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Yeah he said if it didn't work he'd give us something else

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Nystantin?

Quoting RaevynEvermore:

Just left the drs and he prescribed something for her and told me to use a cream. Said hers should clear up in a week and my pain should go away in a day or two

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Nystatin has sugar in it and can make the yeast worse. Go get the GV.
Wash everything that goes in her mouth and touches your breasts in HOT water with vinegar.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iluvteeth77
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:24 PM
I know you already got plenty of help but I thought I'd go ahead. My ds is almost 8 weeks for the first 6 1/2 I dealt with thrush. He had thrush, yeast diaper rash and my nipples hurt severely and I had it in my ducts as well!! I tried Nyastatin, and diflucan from the dr and neither worked. I didn't wanna use the gen violet with it causing cancer, I don't care how much you have to use for that to happen, I didn't wanna take the risk.... I used grapefruit seed extract liquid in his mouth, 10 drops to 1oz distilled water, using a q-tip to swipe his mouth before every feeding and i used it on my nipples after every feeding....and used it on his bottom as well. I also started taking candex 2 at night 2 in the am, grapefruit seed extract pills 3x/day and acidophilus..... I also cut sugar especially pop!! It's all completely safe. I finally after several weeks have relief. I also had to boil everything that his mouth or my breasts touched. I use water and apple cider vinegar... I know why women would quit after all I went through but it was do worth it to get it under controls for him ;) Good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RaevynEvermore
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Great news! I've been using an anti fungal cream on my nipples and the plain has gone down so much I can nurse! I'm thankful she latched right back on like nothing happened :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RaevynEvermore
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I think someone missed mommy's boob
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN