Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Things people say! ;-/

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:30 AM
  • 19 Replies

Why do people think its okay to tell a pregnant woman she can't or "won't be able to" breastfeed? That's like telling a woman she can't give birth vaginally or a couple who is trying to conceive that they can't. If you're not a professional just offer encouragement and keep your opinion to yourself.

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:38 AM
That's awful! :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ria7
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:17 AM
I heard this from my sister in law. She kept asking me if I had signed up to get formula samples. I told her I was breadtfeeding. She just kept saying the baby could be allergic to my milk or not know how to nurse so I needed to stockpile formula now!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Duquesne
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Ignorance, it seems, is a virtue some people have no problem displaying proudly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
outstandingLove
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:32 PM
3 moms liked this

It wouldn't bother me so much if it was just some stranger ...but this is a woman who is going to be my family. She is the great aunt of my baby. And what's more frustrating is she has no children of her own!

Little does she realize how happy i'll be to prove her wrong! lol

Devious333
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:35 PM
What I hate is when I was pregnant, people asked me if I could give birth vaginally because I'm so small. And when I had to have csections, people said "oh that makes sense because you're so small" (I'm 4'11). Lol people have no clue what they are talking about most of the time. My csections had nothing to do with how small I am.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
outstandingLove
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Quoting Devious333:

What I hate is when I was pregnant, people asked me if I could give birth vaginally because I'm so small. And when I had to have csections, people said "oh that makes sense because you're so small" (I'm 4'11). Lol people have no clue what they are talking about most of the time. My csections had nothing to do with how small I am.

I'm only 5'3" and i'm small in build.

People are crazy. Do they forget how over populated the world is? We didn't get that way because women's bodies are dysfunctional or something. lol We come in all shapes and sizes and 99% of us are more than capable of having healthy, normal pregnancy and childbirth.

Devious333
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:40 PM
It's ridiculous, some of the things people say about pregnancy lol you can tell they have never researched anything when they say stuff like that lol.

Quoting outstandingLove:

Quoting Devious333:

I'm only 5'3" and i'm small in build.

People are crazy. Do they forget how over populated the world is? We didn't get that way because women's bodies are dysfunctional or something. lol We come in all shapes and sizes and 99% of us are more than capable of having healthy, normal pregnancy and childbirth.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Eliots_momma
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I got formula for my shower. I loved it bc I could take it back to the store and buy something I wanted :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Unfortunately, I know several instances where that's happened too.

Quoting outstandingLove:

Why do people think its okay to tell a pregnant woman she can't or "won't be able to" breastfeed? That's like telling a woman she can't give birth vaginally or a couple who is trying to conceive that they can't. If you're not a professional just offer encouragement and keep your opinion to yourself.

ShesALady
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:52 PM
My husbands aunt mocks women who breast feed past a few months. Actually her and my MIL were cracking jokes about it right in front of me. My two children from a previous marriage were breast fed to a year and this baby coming in January will be too. I don't want to hear their negative comments. They also look down on people who cosleep and I also coslept with my oldest two for 9 months and they both transitioned to their own bed just fine. This will be fun! Haha
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN