Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Need Help

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:47 AM
  • 7 Replies
So I was BFing and then my baby would nurse for about 5 min. Then would stop and scream so I would switch Boobs and once again she would only nurse for like
5 min. So w would get some milk I has in the freezer and she would eat 4oz then I would pump and only get a oz out of both Boobs put together so I put her on formula and I was pumping every hour to try and bring my supply back up and only get around 6 oz all day so I have talked to everyone and its so sad that I can't feed baby like I should be able to.. so I am trying to let my supply dry up but not sure where to start please help
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Honey, it sounds like she was going through a growth spurt... there was nothing wrong with your supply, she was just growing and needed to tell your body to make more milk.   Was she about 6 weeks when this started?

If you want to nurse, then put her to the breast and keep nursing.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Quoting sep18mom:

So I was BFing and then my baby would nurse for about 5 min. Then would stop and scream so I would switch Boobs and once again she would only nurse for like
5 min.
That's fine. Clocks in tiny pieces in the trash, please. **grin** ALL lengths of nursing are fine as long as it's baby's choice and not mom's (in other words, no timing ever).
So w would get some milk I has in the freezer and she would eat 4oz
For the same reason I'll eat a half gallon of Rocky Road... because it's there.
then I would pump and only get a oz out of both Boobs put together
Normal amount. Normal output is half an ounce to two ounces from both sides. You're right in the middle of the road.
so I put her on formula and I was pumping every hour to try and bring my supply back up and only get around 6 oz all day so I have talked to everyone and its so sad that I can't feed baby like I should be able to.. so I am trying to let my supply dry up but not sure where to start please help

Just put the baby to breast. NO BOTTLES. No timing! She was normal. You were PERFECT. There's no need to dry up unless you don't want to nurse. If you don't want to nurse, estrogen birth control. Get on YAZ today, dry by Thanksgiving.

But you were PERFECT and didn't know it. Infant behavior is bnever never never never an indication of anything and the fussier they are, the better off. The "good" babies are the ones to worry about. A quiet baby can be a starving one. Starvation happens in silence. Noise indicates getting plenty.

More of an indication of getting plenty... changing 6-8 dipes per day in the first couple of months.

sep18mom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM
If that was the case why can't I pump more the 6oz all day and she was 8 weeks when this started

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Honey, it sounds like she was going through a growth spurt... there was nothing wrong with your supply, she was just growing and needed to tell your body to make more milk.   Was she about 6 weeks when this started?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Pump output means NOTHING.   I probably couldn't pump more than 6oz in a day and I'm exclusively breastfeeding a very chunky almost 5 month old.  

If you were *only* producing 6oz a day, then you wouldn't be asking about how to dry yourself up since there would be no need.   You're producing far more than you can remove with the pump.

Diapers are what is important... you want 5-6 changes per day.

Also... did you start a hormonal birth control at your 6 week appt?  

Quoting sep18mom:

If that was the case why can't I pump more the 6oz all day and she was 8 weeks when this started

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:00 PM

There are moms who can nurse twins and not even get one drop at the pump. What you pump means utterly NOTHING. Baby;s behavior means nothing. ONLY the dipe count matters.

Quoting sep18mom:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:20 PM
Because you either don't have a void pump response or you don't have a good pump. Some moms can exclusively nurse but can't pump a drop.
Eight weeks can be a time for a big growth spurt. If you want to nurse, start putting her back to the breast and slowly decrease the amount of formula.

Quoting sep18mom:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Pumps suck (no pun intended) at emptying your breast. Diapers tell the story of supply above all else. A fussy baby is a healthy baby and knows that what they are doing is triggering your supply. At 8 weeks it's still not completely regulated to their needs, so the fussing is a necessary evil for their survival. I can never pump a decent amount at all but all of my babies have been expressly breastfed and done just fine. If you still want to nurse, just put her back to breast and ignore her anger at the lack of bottles pouring milk down her throat. She's spoiled to the bottle allowing her to be lazy while eating, so may act like you're trying to murder her for a couple of days while she readjusts:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN