Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pregnant while nursing question

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:22 AM
  • 10 Replies

what was your first clue that you were pregnant while still nursing your little one? i'm wondering if i am. i'm gonna get a test to take, but just curious if it as different for you then when you got pregnant with your first. my supply has dropped and i'm trying to figure out why and work on getting it back up.

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:29 AM
My very first sign was achy breasts. I didn't have a period yet so I went off of conception date and was 3wks along. Supply dip is a common indicator, but of you are pregnant most galactogogues aren't safe. Since it's a hormonal dip most galactogogues won't be affective either. How are diapers?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:32 AM
First symptom here was a late period and positive test.
What makes you think your supply dipped?
PromisedOne
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:37 AM

he went from nursing every 3 to 4 hours to every 1 to 2 hours. and for less than 5 minutes at a time, instead of the usual 10 - 15 minutes per side. sometimes now he won't take the other side. and he's gaining weight but not what he should be gaining. and when i pump, i'm pumping 2 to 3 ounces less than i was 2 weeks ago. and my boobs aren't feeling full and hard until i hit about 5 to 6 hours since last feed, where they used to get full and hard at the 2 1/2 to 3 hour mark. i'm supposed to be pumping after i nurse him and giving him more breast milk in a bottle, but he doesn't want it. he has been in the teething process for a couple months, maybe one's finally fixing to cut thru? i'm trying so hard. he's not ready to stop bf and neither am i. i started taking fenugreek yesterday, 3 pills 3 times a day. i'm gonna see if that helps this week. i go back to the lactation consultant saturday for another feed and weigh.

PromisedOne
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:40 AM

and he's 19 weeks old. still having enough diapers, but they're not quite as wet as they were a couple weeks ago. i pump every 3 hours at work for 10 - 15 minutes. and i try to pump after he nurses at home, but now since he's nursing so often it's not very easy to stay on top of. it feels almost like my breasts won't empty. they don't hurt, but it seems like i can tell there's still milk in there, it just won't let down. that's after he nurses or after i pump. i don't get it. i was oversupplying until this started 2 weeks ago. we did have someone move in with us to help us catch up on rent and bills, so my stress level is up, but i didn't think it was that bad.

MayFlowerMomma
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Good luck

melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Sounds like a growth spurt/supply regulation. diapers are adequate so supply it's fine.
Normal pumping output is 0.5-2oz total from both breasts. Pumping output isn't a good indicator of low supply, only diaper counts
PromisedOne
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM

except that a growth spurt is only supposed to last up to 4 days...not 2 weeks.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Sounds like a growth spurt/supply regulation. diapers are adequate so supply it's fine.
Normal pumping output is 0.5-2oz total from both breasts. Pumping output isn't a good indicator of low supply, only diaper counts

melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Nope growth spurts can last all kinds of lengths. Our current spurt here is at almost a month

Quoting PromisedOne:

except that a growth spurt is only supposed to last up to 4 days...not 2 weeks.

Quoting melindabelcher:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Nothing that you said indicates lowered supply. Your supply regulated to exactly what your baby needs from the initial hormonal oversupply. Pump output naturally decreases over time, especially with supply regulations.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM

This!

Quoting melindabelcher:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)