Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TTC #2

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM
  • 17 Replies
I know some might call me crazy for thinking about breastfeeding and I'm not even pregnant yet (lol).
I am ttc #2. My son is 5. When I was pregnant with my son, I did all these freebie things and got tons of free formula. I saved it just in case. I always wanted to breastfeed. I did pretty good at first. Until he was about 5 weeks and would NOT stop crying. I tried everything, nothing was helping and he wouldnt latch. So I gave him to my DH and said just go make him a bottle, while i went back to sleep. Then it became a lazy thing. Also I was very uncomfortable nursing in public, so I would just bring formula when I went out.
I was only 19 with my first and pretty clueless about a lot.

My plan with the next (I was thinking) is to not have one bottle, or any formula in the house at all.
Is this a bad idea? My DH thinks it might not be good incase I don't produce enough or something.

What do you guys think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I've had 4 babies, all breastfed. My oldest had a bottle at 3 weeks. Otherwise nursed to 15 months with no bottles. My second and third both nursed to 24 months, NO bottles. And my fourth was 39 months, NO bottles. 

It is extremely rare for a woman to truly not produce enough milk. Put the baby to breast and supply will rise up to meet deman. In the most extrememly unlikely scenario that you didn't produce milk, most of us are within a short drive to a store to get formula. Having formula in the house "just in case" is like trying to quit smoking and having a pack of cigarettes in the house in case you have a moment of weakness. It is very possible to breastfeed without ever using a drop of formula. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:34 AM

It's not a bad idea. It's pretty close to impossible to be short on milk. What most of us tend to be is short on patience, because newborns are really unpleasant creatures when you get down to it. Noisy, demanding, smelly every time they fill the diaper, messy too. **grin** If they weren't so darned cute we'd fricasee 'em.

purvislets
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:37 AM

That's exactly what I'm doing this time around!  I only made it to 6 and 8 weeks with my other two and then got lazy/defeated and switched to formula.  Everyone kept pressuring me saying it would be so much easier on me (which, in reality, it wasn't) and since I already had some formula and bottles in the house it was easy to just give in.  I'm due in about 4 weeks and don't have a single bottle or any formula in the house.

purvislets
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Plus, if there truly was an issue with your supply that you couldn't remedy, how difficult would it really be to run out and get a bottle and some formula?  More than likely that will never have to happen though, so I wouldn't even worry about it.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Three kids and I've only ever had formula in the house with the first (because the hospital sent it home with us).   You don't need formula, you will do fine.   Not having it in the house is actually highly reccomended if you plan to BF.   GL!  :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:41 AM

VERY good idea to have no formula or bottles in the house! I didn't have any in mine for any of my kids (actually my first they did give me free formula, but it was no necessary).

My suggestion is to also get the book "The womanly ARt of Breastfeeding" and look up a local La Leche League group http://www.llli.org/ 

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Know what to expect (demanding, 24/7 survival mode for a majority of the first several months) then all the hard work can start to pay off. Learning how to safely bed share and side-lying nursing can help immensely! Side-caring the crib will help too! Get to know kellymom.com, familiarize yourself with typical bf growth rates (since most pedis dont bother to differentiate bf from ff) and read the article "African babies don't cry". I learn something new every day on this board. Read posts often. Even if you don't have that particular problem at the moment it will help you learn what to expect. I can now read a question and predict most of the helpful responses before I even scroll through! I've been 11 months w/o a drop of formula and still going strong thanks to the smart ladies here. If I would have stayed on a different message board, I would be long done by now! The advice here is so accurate and research based!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Y2kmomma
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Thanks guys!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Careeka22
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM

No formula is a good start but you will get some from the hospital, mail-ins, etc. Donate them. Thinking about it now and having a lot of time to pre-pare yourself is wonderful, start now by thinking formula is not an option.. my drive was the sheer cost of formula and lack of health benefits. If you got to 5 weeks with your son I can almost guarantee you can go the distance with any baby. All breastfeeding relationships take "work" at the beginning.. even the easy ones but after that it is smooth sailing. Set goals and stick to them, I set a goal of 1 year and I'm currently at 18 months and counting :-) You CAN do it!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM
What everyone else said! ^^^ It is very rare to not make enough milk. It is a great idea to not have bottles and formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)