Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
I know some might call me crazy for thinking about breastfeeding and I'm not even pregnant yet (lol).
I am ttc #2. My son is 5. When I was pregnant with my son, I did all these freebie things and got tons of free formula. I saved it just in case. I always wanted to breastfeed. I did pretty good at first. Until he was about 5 weeks and would NOT stop crying. I tried everything, nothing was helping and he wouldnt latch. So I gave him to my DH and said just go make him a bottle, while i went back to sleep. Then it became a lazy thing. Also I was very uncomfortable nursing in public, so I would just bring formula when I went out.
I was only 19 with my first and pretty clueless about a lot.

My plan with the next (I was thinking) is to not have one bottle, or any formula in the house at all.
Is this a bad idea? My DH thinks it might not be good incase I don't produce enough or something.

What do you guys think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Replies (11-17):
MayFlowerMomma
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Yep, don't have any in the house. It's just too tempting otherwise.

Wifeyy2Lette
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Smart idea! That's what I did, I had bottles to pump but no formula. It just wasn't an option to me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lizzys_mommy13
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM

It's a good idea! If you need them for whatever reason, it's not like they are hard to come by. lol 
It's less tempting if you don't have any of that stuff right on hand. Who wants to run out and buy bottles and formula, sanitize the bottles, mix up the formula and then feed baby when it's so much more convinient to just give baby the food that you are already producing? Not me! lol
Don't let anybody try to convince you that you don't produce enough unless baby isn't having plenty of wet diapers during the day. If baby isn't having enough wet diapers, then it might be time to look at your supply. If you are scared that you may not have a good supply, there are a lot of things out there that you can do to help you produce more milk.

WorkingMommy931
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I agree, having formula in the house just makes it easy to use. Don't bother. Find an LC in your area so that you have support for the next. And there's always this group!

Y2kmomma
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you everyone for the advice!
I am praying I get pregnant soon. We have been trying for 5 months now.
I feel a lot more educated this time around, so I think I'll be ok =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Just stick around here and learn! :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bohomomma
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:36 PM
I always donate any of the formula they give me at the hospital.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN