Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Weaning from bottle... No interest in drinking from anything else?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:56 AM
  • 12 Replies
I know I'm way over thinking things but dd is now 11 months. She gets 3 bottles/day while I'm at work. I plan on continuing to pump for at least a few more months but I would like to ditch the bottles and give her a more appropriate way to drink for her age. (She's transitioning to the pre-toddler room at daycare). I personally dislike sippy cups and intended to teach her to drink from an open cup. We've been trying (admittedly half-heartedly) to introduce water in a plastic shot glass since 7 months but she needs it to be held or she just dumps it. She can do straw cups but still drinks too fast or flings the cup and I don't want her wasting my liquid gold by offering BM in the cup!

Sippy cups she has no interest. She'll lift it up and sip a few times then pitch the cup and find something else to do. I wish I could keep her with me and nurse her all day, but that's not an option! Any other suggestions? Try different sippys? Keep practicing with open cup/straw? Just let her keep bottles?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:59 AM
How about a straw sippy cup
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM
That was mentioned. She drinks too fast and ends up spilling it/spitting most of it out, and then grabs the straw and flings the cup. Most of the water ends up on her shirt or spilled in the floor.

Quoting larissalarie:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM

My kids were always quick to drink from the sports sippies, with the soft silicone straws, in the spill-proof version. The hardest part is teaching them to hold the cup down instead of tipping it up to drink.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Ahh,,I thought you just meant a regular cup with a straw.

My kids like those sippy cups that have the characters as lids and are spill proof. They are actually sold individually as juice, but we buy them to reuse, not for the juice. But I don't have an issue with sippy cups, I think they were a fabulous invention.

Quoting audmom1218:

That was mentioned. She drinks too fast and ends up spilling it/spitting most of it out, and then grabs the straw and flings the cup. Most of the water ends up on her shirt or spilled in the floor.

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ncoates04
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM
We went with the wide mouth style sippy cups (classified for 18+months) and removed the valve...I only put 1 oz in at a time so that its not wasting a lot......for a while my dd wouldn't even drink water from a sippy, only bm....the she went to the opposite extreme and would only drink water while I was at work and nurse like crazy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM
Oh you could also stop sending breastmilk after she's 1. She can have water and just get get breastmilk straight from the tap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM
My reason for sending is actually not only to provide benefit but to expose the other parents and workers to the fact that its normal and good to keep nursing past a year. I may have to give in and experiment with sippys. But so far the few different ones she has tried she has no interest. Maybe I need to try one with handles.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:43 PM

spill-proof straw cups

Lizzys_mommy13
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I like the sippy cups with the no leak straws. :) 

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I would keep the bottle... there's nothing wrong with a toddler having a bottle (just as there's nothing wrong with a toddler nursing!).   Offer water in the sippy and she'll get the hang of it.   We only ever kept the sippies until they could drink from a regular cup... which was always around 14-18months if I remember. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN