Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Weaning from bottle... No interest in drinking from anything else?

Posted by   + Show Post
I know I'm way over thinking things but dd is now 11 months. She gets 3 bottles/day while I'm at work. I plan on continuing to pump for at least a few more months but I would like to ditch the bottles and give her a more appropriate way to drink for her age. (She's transitioning to the pre-toddler room at daycare). I personally dislike sippy cups and intended to teach her to drink from an open cup. We've been trying (admittedly half-heartedly) to introduce water in a plastic shot glass since 7 months but she needs it to be held or she just dumps it. She can do straw cups but still drinks too fast or flings the cup and I don't want her wasting my liquid gold by offering BM in the cup!

Sippy cups she has no interest. She'll lift it up and sip a few times then pitch the cup and find something else to do. I wish I could keep her with me and nurse her all day, but that's not an option! Any other suggestions? Try different sippys? Keep practicing with open cup/straw? Just let her keep bottles?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:56 AM
Replies (11-12):
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:17 PM
I agree with the spill proof straw sippy cups. DS has a few & they are great.

DS also loooooves camelback water bottles, so I bought him a kid one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Char07
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:30 PM
I would do sippies (or spill proof straw cups) until she gets the open cup down (with help she will probably take them if needed), my dd learned open cup really well around 12 months because it was summer and I would share my water bottle with her between nursing while out. We would be out and she was usually on my back in the ergo and each time I would take a drink she would ask for a sip do I'd hold the bottle back and just help her steady it. It taught her enough about tipping too fast or too high. We practiced at home with both small Tupperware cups and 1/2 pint ball mason jars and an ounce or so of water with meals. I hate sippies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)