Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Going back to work and pumping...

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:16 PM
  • 12 Replies

Any advice? I have a stash of about 100 oz in the freezer and a Medela pump. It's not a want to go back to work, it's a need to go.

My biggest concern is will she continue to nurse at night and on my days off? What are some ways to encourage it?

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I'm not sure but here's a bump! I take it you took off work and didn't just do a maternity leave? That's a LOT of bm!

WorkingMommy931
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Mine has no problem nursing when I'm home, he prefers it. We follow the 1-1.25 oz/hr rule when I'm gone and he does just fine. Just make sure you use a slow flow nipple. There is a great handout from Kellymom.com that you can give your caregiver so they feed in a way that doesn't interfere with your breastfeeding (that is they don't overfeed). When you're at work, you should pump as often as your baby eats if possible. Awesome stash btw!

misasue
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:32 PM

as soon as i get home my lo smells me i think and cant wait to nurse. we nurse exclusively when i am home. no bottles unless i am not around at all and only dad gives him the bottle. i work nights and 12 hour shifts so i was really worried. but no nipple confusion and no problem taking bottle from dad. good luck!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Nurse right before you leave and as son as you get back. Leave 2-3 ounce bottles to be given every 2-3 hours with nothing within about 2 hours of your return. The bottles should be fed slowly as described in the kellymom page on bottle feeding a breastfed baby. Pump first thing every morning (including days off) and once every 3 hours while you're gone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:42 PM

You have about ten times as much as I had stored when I went back. You NEED only 8% of what you have sotred. **grin**

One pump session per morning WHILE nursing. Baby one side, pump on the other. One pump session at work for every thre ehours away from baby.

BIG FAT MYTH you must stay home. Indeed, the long-term nursers I've known were moms working out of the home. 

Bby nees 1 -1.25 ounces per hour you're away, in servings of about three ounces. That amount NEVER changes. The milk does instead.

This is pretty simple stuff, really. Yes, she'll continue to nurse as long as you're adamant that there are NO bottles given if you are present. Never a single bottle when you are there.

birdiemom
by Allison on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:46 PM
You'll be fine! Follow pp advice! I've been back to work since April and still breastfeeding. I wake before DS to pump and pump at work. I keep pumping in the morning on the weekends, but no bottles on the weekend, that's MY time!!! Lol. I have about 20 oz in the freezer.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:52 PM
  • Pump every day at work at least enough to meet baby's needs at daycare. (If baby needs 10 ounces at daycare, then you pump enough to get 10 oz at work). What you pump on Monday, send on Tues. etc. Save the freezer stash for emergencies, or rotate out some milk once a week or once a month)
  • Make sure aby is not overfed at daycare/ Baby needs 1-1.25 ounces for every hour of separation. Bottle size 2-4 ounces at a time, such as 2.5 ounces every 2 hours.
  • Talk to caregiver about pacing baby's bottle feeds so she is fed slowly.
  • Bottles only when you are away, baby NEVER gets a bottle when you are together.

More info at http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogspot.com/2012/07/returning-to-work-breastfeeding-mothers.html

kona211
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:03 PM
If you follow what everyone above suggested you'll do great! I've been working full time outside the home since dd was 4 weeks old. She is almost 11 months and nurses like a champ when we are together. She far prefers mommy and goes crazy as soon as I walk in the door at night! I've also never touched my freezer stash; dd always gets fresh pumped milk from the day before or that morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Basically you have been given great advice...I have done this twice you can too!

Nunyabusiness
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Thank you everyone. The caregiver is grandpa and daddy rotating. I just got a job, I haven't worked in six years and I stayed home and breast fed my other two so this is all new territory.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)