Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

an update on my ds

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:36 PM
  • 18 Replies

he now weighs 6lb 9 1/2 oz. the lc did say that i was right he does have thrush but when bringing up that my research shows that could be a problem with not really gaining weight she just pretty much laughed it off and said shed never seen it. she did say that i can do full bf if he will stay latched and actully bf little does she know i HAVE been doing that for the last week already. so last week when he was weighed he didnt gain any weight this week he gained  2 and 1/2 oz. she said not to pay attention to the clock as long as he is eating ATLEAST every 2 hrs little does she know since he latched last week i have been bf on demand rather than on schedule. just wanted to give you guys an update on him. she said the next step if he doesnt start picking up more weight is formula. i dont want this can they force me to give him formula?

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Eliots_momma
by Jessica on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:00 PM
I don't think they can force you to do formula. An lc told me that when my son had the stomach bug it shouldn't effect his weight any. Lcs don't always know what they are talking about.

I hope baby keeps gaining and I hoped they try to help you solve the problem rather than push formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:43 PM

What are you using to treat the thrush?  Genetian violet works wonders on that stuff, although you will both be stained purple for a couple of days:)  Has he been checked for tongue or lip tie?  I have read your other posts, but can't remember for sure!

mommytotwinz
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:48 PM

had her check him for that as well she said his tounge looks perfect. waiting on perscription now for the thrush. hoping after this is cleared up he will start gaining weight without a hassle

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM
What kind of LC is she? Is she an IBCLC? Was this visit in an office or at your home? Was the weight taken on a portable scale? Was it the same scale that he was weighed on last week? I'm not sure that she's someone to listen to.
What medication are you waiting for? If it is nystatin, I would not use it. Get the gentian violet like I mentioned in your other post. You HAVE to treat both of you or it won't go away. You'll be passing it back and forth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytotwinz
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:49 PM

shes a wic lc but not sure if shes ibclc or not. i know last week she was telling me to just let him bf for 5 mins pump and give him 2 oz in bottle for the rest so im pretty sure shes not someone to trust honestly. portable scale she comes to my home and as far as i know its the same scale as last week. dh is on his way to cvs to see if they have the gentian violet now hopefully they do if not where else can we get it? honestly im taking the advice from all you ladies far more than her. just the fact that she wanted me to limit him on the breast is a reason not to trust her opinion. she did say today she is a nurse not sure if that makes a difference. i do however notice that before last week he was not latching so he was drinking bm from a bottle and didnt gain any weight this week he was bf all week and gained 2 1/2 oz i think that shows something right there.

Quoting aehanrahan:

What kind of LC is she? Is she an IBCLC? Was this visit in an office or at your home? Was the weight taken on a portable scale? Was it the same scale that he was weighed on last week? I'm not sure that she's someone to listen to.
What medication are you waiting for? If it is nystatin, I would not use it. Get the gentian violet like I mentioned in your other post. You HAVE to treat both of you or it won't go away. You'll be passing it back and forth.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Ok. I forgot that that was you. Yeah, ignore everything that she says AND all of the weights on the portable scale. Unless she calibrated it right before weighing him every time, the weights could be majorly off. I remember the conversation about her before. I'm thinking that she may not actually be a LC, but a peer counselor. Does she call herself a LC?
You might be able to find GV at Walgreen's. I know they have it online.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytotwinz
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:01 PM

she calls herself a lc and her phone number goes to some lc office line but all in all not someone i trust honestly

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:06 PM
Well, she's not a good LC. :-\
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paradys
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:11 PM
If you're really worried about a tongue or lip tie then take LO to an ENT or pedi dentist.
Hope you can find the g.v. I know you can get it on Amazon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytotwinz
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:13 PM

well its not at cvs and thats the only store that may have it within walking distance so its gonna have to wait til tomorrow when i can get to walmart. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)