Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

35 week baby. Could really use some help from you ladies. (sorry it's long)

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:48 PM
  • 17 Replies

I had my daughter on Nov 10th. I was induced due to pre-eclampsia at what we thought was 36 weeks 2 days pregnant. After she was born the doctor thought she was more then likely only 35 weeks. She was in the NICU for a 1 /12days and was given formula due to low blood sugar.  They provided a pump while I was in the hospital but I was unable to get anything while there. They sent me home with a Medela Lactina and I was told to nurse/bottle/pump at least 8x a day. Also while in the hospital I was informed that she has a minor tongue tie that may or may not cause a problem. I also wonder if she has a lip tie.

Her birth weight was 5lbs 10 oz and at her lowest was 5lbs 4 oz. Though at 8 days old she was already back up to 5 lbs 7oz. As of now I have her nursing at least 12x a day and well honestly only pumping about 5x a day. I would pump more but between having a new baby, my husband was in an accident the other day, and two kids with the stomach flu life hasn't been that easy. She only recieves about 4-6oz of formula at most a day. Sometimes I can go a whole day without any formula.  

I really want to get to the poing of only breastfeeding but feel like the advice I'm getting isn't really aiming towards that goal. While the LC said to nurse before giving a bottle she emphasized that pumping was more important at this point. I disagree and well I don't listen. I nurse whenever she looks like she wants to nurse whether to eat or just because. It is hard to get her to latch because she doesn't have a strong rooting reflex yet but once she is latched I don't have any pain.

Can anyone offer advice?

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Why are you giving the formula for start?   Is she not making enough diapers when you don't... or?

I had a 35 weeker, he was about a lb bigger at birth, but he was breastfed exclusively except for the formula the hospital pushed on him right after birth (also for low blood sugar).

I would ditch the pump and the formula and watch diapers.   If there's a concern she isn't transfering enough milk because of lack of diapers, THEN look at pumping and using an sns to push some more milk in her until shes a tad older.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Lcherniske
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:55 PM
My son was induced due to preclampsia also.at 35 weeks. Surprisingly he was 7 lbs. 4 oz. I don't think you really need to be pumping if you just nurse on demand. Does she seem satisfied after nursing? 12 x a day is normal for an infant. Could you just do a before and after weight check to see what she is getting. Really at that age 2 oz. Is more then enough.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kaves
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM
I had twin girls at 34 weeks and was pumping and nursing them as well. With my girls they were worried about them not getting worn out from the breastfeeding. It took a little while but I transitioned them to breastfeeding only as they got older and stronger. I would nurse them for most feedings first and then let them finish with a bottle. Then I would take out a bottle or two a day. Then one night when they were two months old I was too tired to do the whole pump and feed bottles so I just nursed them. I never looked back after that and they did great. I kept a close eye on how they were acting and on their diaper counts. Yours sounds like she's doing really well! Since she's a preemie she should still be getting "freebie" meals from your placenta so be patient :) its hard pumping and breastfeeding but I'm sure she'll get the hang of it soon. Sorry its long but good luck!
MomOfFish
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM
She was very sleepy and wouldn't nurse for more then 2 minutes if at all at first. Even though I've nursed my last two I just felt way overwhelmed by the situation. The one thing that kept going through my mind was if she could drink from a bottle why can't she just nurse? They were also saying her mouth was small and she wouldn't be able to latch on well enough to transfer milk. When I saw the lc on the 14th by weight she transferred 8ml.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Why are you giving the formula for start?   Is she not making enough diapers when you don't... or?

I had a 35 weeker, he was about a lb bigger at birth, but he was breastfed exclusively except for the formula the hospital pushed on him right after birth (also for low blood sugar).

I would ditch the pump and the formula and watch diapers.   If there's a concern she isn't transfering enough milk because of lack of diapers, THEN look at pumping and using an sns to push some more milk in her until shes a tad older.

hismommy2010
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Breastfeed on demand. Also pump. The more you pump and breastfeed, the more milk you will make. To get your supply in good.

as for the lip? Im not really sure. Is she getting a bottle at all? cause that can cause confusion.

Lcherniske
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM
Hmmmm.....i did forget about them using " too much energy" to eat sometimes. In our nicu they would give 20 min. And then if still needed to finish it had to be a tube feeding. Then againwe were not discharged until he could go 24 hours complete breast or bottle. I didn't realize after they were sent home that this might still be an issue.

Quoting kaves:

I had twin girls at 34 weeks and was pumping and nursing them as well. With my girls they were worried about them not getting worn out from the breastfeeding. It took a little while but I transitioned them to breastfeeding only as they got older and stronger. I would nurse them for most feedings first and then let them finish with a bottle. Then I would take out a bottle or two a day. Then one night when they were two months old I was too tired to do the whole pump and feed bottles so I just nursed them. I never looked back after that and they did great. I kept a close eye on how they were acting and on their diaper counts. Yours sounds like she's doing really well! Since she's a preemie she should still be getting "freebie" meals from your placenta so be patient :) its hard pumping and breastfeeding but I'm sure she'll get the hang of it soon. Sorry its long but good luck!

Lcherniske
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:20 PM
Lol- forget my 2 oz. Comment. I was thinking after a month or 2.

Quoting Lcherniske:

My son was induced due to preclampsia also.at 35 weeks. Surprisingly he was 7 lbs. 4 oz. I don't think you really need to be pumping if you just nurse on demand. Does she seem satisfied after nursing? 12 x a day is normal for an infant. Could you just do a before and after weight check to see what she is getting. Really at that age 2 oz. Is more then enough.

MomOfFish
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:23 PM
I know my supply is plenty for her at this point. Her bottle amounts are dropping. Before after nursing she would take 1 1/2-2oz( which honestly I feel is more them she needs) and now sometimes she seems content after only nursing for one our two sessions and I stopped giving a bottle then. On the nursing sessions she does take a bottle she now only takes 1oz after a feeding.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:50 PM
That is too much, especially this early! How are you determining when she needs a bottle?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paradys
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:58 PM
I think it looks like a lip tie, just in case, take her to a ENT or pedi dentist to get lip and tongue looked at.
Sounds like you're doin great with nursing alone. My advice is drop the bottles and nurse, count diapers, and don't worry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)