Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler biting, and my strategy is backfiring...just go with it?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:55 PM
  • 13 Replies

My 17 month old just started biting a couple weeks ago.  She gives a little nip...enough to make me say "ouch" then tell her no.  I put her down and tell her she's not allowed to nurse if she bites me.  She just looks at me like, "ok" then goes on her merry way with zero objection.  The next time she asks or I offer it's the same thing.  Because of sticking to my "no biting=no nursing" policy, she hasn't really nursed since Saturday.

Last week I posted about her not wanting the bedtime nursing session anymore and last night she REALLY didn't want it (she threw a fit when we assumed the position).  So all this put together, does it appear that my baby is weaning or is this a nursing strike?  Either way, I guess I have no choice but to go with it.  :(

I truly imagined nursing past the age of 2, but if it's not what she wants, I can't force it.

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabens
by Miranda on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Don't count her weaned until you've gone weeks without a nursing. I would keep doing what you're doing , definitely do NOT allow her to jsut bite!

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM

She could just be testing you, and pick it back up, even pick it back up with renewed enthusiasm. But you are doing the right thing by holding her to mind her manners with the biting. I WOULD NOT recommend nursing a biter just for the sake of getting her to nurse. Offer it often, remind her there is no biting, and let her make her choice. 

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM
When does she bite? Is it at the beginning or the end of a feeding? She can't bite if she's actively nursing. Watch her to see if you can anticipate the bite and take her off before she has the chance. Is she teething? She might be in pain and teething remedies before nursing might help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
levansbx
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:43 PM
It really depends...sometimes at the beginning, sometimes at the end. I'm ready for it to happen at any time! She is teething, but the bite is more like a nip, and she sort of thinks it's funny even though she knows I think it's not. To me, it seems more due to lack of interest than pain, but I don't know. She hasn't actively nursed since Saturday.

Quoting aehanrahan:

When does she bite? Is it at the beginning or the end of a feeding? She can't bite if she's actively nursing. Watch her to see if you can anticipate the bite and take her off before she has the chance. Is she teething? She might be in pain and teething remedies before nursing might help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
levansbx
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Ok, thanks! I am conditioned to fear nursing now, so I reluctantly offer...I don't want to start dreading it!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

She could just be testing you, and pick it back up, even pick it back up with renewed enthusiasm. But you are doing the right thing by holding her to mind her manners with the biting. I WOULD NOT recommend nursing a biter just for the sake of getting her to nurse. Offer it often, remind her there is no biting, and let her make her choice. 

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:46 PM
Weeks!! Ok, that's reassuring. :)

Quoting mamabens:

Don't count her weaned until you've gone weeks without a nursing. I would keep doing what you're doing , definitely do NOT allow her to jsut bite!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this
My son refused for over a MONTH before he went back to nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
levansbx
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:19 PM
I'm also kind of worried about clogged ducts or an infection from lack of nursing.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM
If you get engorged, pump or hand express and hopefully you'll be fine. I was lucky. I was well past the engorgement stage when my son went that long earlier this year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
levansbx
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok...so far so good. :)

Quoting aehanrahan:

If you get engorged, pump or hand express and hopefully you'll be fine. I was lucky. I was well past the engorgement stage when my son went that long earlier this year.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)