Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! breast feeding is making me eat like a linebacker

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:56 PM
  • 11 Replies
So I just had my son on 10-17-12 and I am breastfeeding and pumping. I lost about 20lbs but am scared because I get soo hungry and actually eat more than when I was pregnant. Is anyohavig the same problem and if so any advice? Also I was wondering if it's normal when bottle feeding expressed milk does your baby's stomach start to rumble lile a gas noise?
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newbabystarr09
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:58 PM

try to eat healthy snacks when you get hungry..My son is 9 months old and I could eat right before he nurses and be hungry again when he's done

CafeMom Tickers  

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:00 PM

You're producing lots of milk, you need the calories!  :)   Just make sure they count...eat fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, eggs, whole grains, etc...

For bottlefeeding... I don't bottlefeed my baby, other people do... so I don't know.  As a rule, if you're with baby, it's always best to nurse directly!  :)

sreichelt26
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I went through the same thing - for the first few months, I either had very little appetite or ate all.day.long.

it evens out. just eat healthy. protein helps keep you full longer.

Don't know about the tummy rumbling - mine never took a bottle.

hismommy2010
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I did the same thing! I felt hungry allll the time. You have already lost 20lbs, so you have to be doing something right with how you are eating. I didn't drop a pound til I was done breastfeeding, when my son was 13 months old.

Just eat healthy. Snack on fruits and veggies, drink plenty of water.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Your caloric need is higher during breastfeeding that during pregnancy. In the early months, your body is uncertain of how many babies you are feeding and what your output will be so for security, your hunger increases to cover the bases. After a while, your hunger and thirst become more "normal" to sustain your actual milk production.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:21 PM

When a baby eats, it also stimulates elimination, of gas and poop. I'm guessing you notice it more when you're giving a bottle, but that gas bubbles along pretty good while the baby nurses at the breast as well.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I want to add that if you're breastfeeding AND pumping, your body might be getting accidentally tricked into thinking you are feeding more than one baby, thus ramping up your hunger to support that level of milk production. 

angellove1119
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:30 PM
Thank you. My questions have been answered and I think I do eat somewhat healthy but I snack a lot and I drink nothing but water except when I eat full meals. And I pump so my boyfriend can feed him at the night and when he sleeps for more than 2 hrs at a time.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:53 PM
I agree with this and everything else she said in her other replies.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I want to add that if you're breastfeeding AND pumping, your body might be getting accidentally tricked into thinking you are feeding more than one baby, thus ramping up your hunger to support that level of milk production. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Quoting angellove1119:

Thank you. My questions have been answered and I think I do eat somewhat healthy but I snack a lot and I drink nothing but water except when I eat full meals. And I pump so my boyfriend can feed him at the night and when he sleeps for more than 2 hrs at a time.

Are you up pumping when Dad is feeding? You need to be. Skipping night feedings can cause problems down the line.

Typically we recommend that dad does anything BUT feed the baby... pretty much every otehr activity is more bonding than feeding anyway.

No need to pump when baby is sleeping, though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)