Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Help! Not Getting Any Sleep!!

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM
  • 6 Replies

My daughter is 7 months old and the last two weeks she has wanted to eat ALL NIGHT LONG. It started when she had a cold and I think the liquid soothed her sore throat but now she is feeling all better and wants to eat all night long. She is now refusing her pacifier in order to nurse and you can just forget about getting any time in her own bed, we're talking like 10 - 30 minutes tops. I'm SO TIRED and Frustrated. She wakes up all night long and cries until I let her latch on. She wakes up so much that she rolls over and gets on all fours like she is going to crawl away off the bed! Our pediatrician suggested we do the Ferber Method (cry it out) but although I see it can be started as early as five months I have read that the best time to try that is closer to one year in age. 

Has anyone else experienced this? What suggestions do you have? I work all day and right now I'm just a walking zombie!

Also during the day she is eating a combination of solids/purees, pumped breast milk, and formula. She nurses at 5:30, eats dinner around 6:30/7:00 and then nurses again and goes to bed around 8:00. She has a good bedtime routine of getting her jammies on, reading a book, nursing, and being put to bed. We like to put her to bed at least a little bit awake but both awake or asleep she is up 10 - 30 minutes later wanting to nurse. 

Thank you for any help you can offer!

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Quoting Momma2Piper:

My daughter is 7 months old and the last two weeks she has wanted to eat ALL NIGHT LONG. It started when she had a cold and I think the liquid soothed her sore throat but now she is feeling all better and wants to eat all night long.

She probably would have pulled this on you regardless, you know. Sleeping patterns change loads in year one.

She is now refusing her pacifier in order to nurse and you can just forget about getting any time in her own bed, we're talking like 10 - 30 minutes tops. I'm SO TIRED and Frustrated. She wakes up all night long and cries until I let her latch on. She wakes up so much that she rolls over and gets on all fours like she is going to crawl away off the bed! Our pediatrician suggested we do the Ferber Method (cry it out) but although I see it can be started as early as five months I have read that the best time to try that is closer to one year in age. 

Has anyone else experienced this? What suggestions do you have? I work all day and right now I'm just a walking zombie!

Also during the day she is eating a combination of solids/purees, pumped breast milk, and formula. She nurses at 5:30, eats dinner around 6:30/7:00 and then nurses again and goes to bed around 8:00. She has a good bedtime routine of getting her jammies on, reading a book, nursing, and being put to bed. We like to put her to bed at least a little bit awake but both awake or asleep she is up 10 - 30 minutes later wanting to nurse. 

Ahhh. Push those solids earlier in the day. At least two hours before you put her down. Solids can make baby rummy in the tummy and make them wake MORE. You might even move her bedtime back a bit. Try 8:30. Then try 9:00.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

mamabens
by Miranda on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:00 PM

She sounds normal to me, they'll go through spurts of that especially after being sick. I personally would NEVER do the  CIO method(ferber or not) at any age. Sorry I don't have much help so I'll jsut bump this to the top

RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:03 PM
Sounds like a normal breastfed baby to me. I never got more than 30 minutes of sleep until my daughter turned 18 months old & then I only got 2 hours from then till now. She turned 2 in August and just started sleeping through the night like a month ago. I don't believe in CIO. Would you want to be left in a room all alone to cry? This only works because babies feel like their parents have forgotten about them so they give up and go to sleep from being so tired from crying. She'll start sleeping eventually just hang in there
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kona211
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:55 PM
Sounds like a normal night except I nurse dd to sleep and bedshare. That way the frequent nursing sessions aren't too bad because we're already snuggled together.

I work full time outside the home, so I know it can be tiring. Yet, there's no way I could ever let dd cry it out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:00 PM
My guy did that around the same time. It lasted about 2 weeks, then he went back to normal. Does she have teeth yet? Mine got 6 all at once.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momma2Piper
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you everyone! I think once I relaxed and realized that this was normal (thanks to you)  both Piper and I got more sleep than the night before. I also realized that she is teething and this is a painful time for her so I just need to let her do her thing.

Thank you SO Much. I dont know what I would have done without your input!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN