Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

THE Law

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:26 PM
  • 25 Replies

Someone told me that by law children have to sleep in their own bed at 3 yrs of age. I still find the notion stunning. Sure I find car seat, stroller and other places at all hours of the day an instant place for falling asleep commonplace.But today LO and I fell asleep while BF, which could be anywhere, couch, car, or bed.

I doubt we'll still be BF at 3 but in some ways that would be even more the reason for concern that it could be harder to get her to sleep than now. Have been almost no problems sleeping since the day after she was born. But once weaning and no BF starts, I have a hunch it will be a different story.

What do you think?

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:35 PM
3 moms liked this
I would ask that person to show me this supposed law. I think they're full of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I've never heard of this. I'd do as pp suggested. 

TTC2Long
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:47 PM
2 moms liked this
There are laws like that for foster homes and past a certain age, there MAY be laws that each child has it's own place to sleep, but not own room. Past a certain age, genders have to be separated. How many same-gender siblings share rooms? Tons and it's totally legal. You'll have to look up the law for your state.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EslingerCrew11
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:51 PM
I think its generally more along the line of their own space allowed to them rather than that they HAVE to use it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:51 PM

There is no such law :-)

That's just silly! My DS who turns 11 at the end of the month STILL sleeps with me sometimes!

sreichelt26
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Any law about own bed/own room/opposite gender siblings being separated applies only to wards of the state aka foster kids. They can't tell you what you can and can't do with your own kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sdunaway08
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:08 AM

By law you do have to provide a child of a certain age (different for each state) their own place to sleep. Whether or not they use it is a whole different story. If CPS were to come into your home they would demand that each child had their own bed (at least here they do, not sure about your state) but they can not and will not force the child to actually sleep in that bed. It just has to be provided.

seahorsebaby11
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Quoting TTC2Long:  That's a good answer and the person DOES do FOSTER CARE. But at the time, we don't have an extra room.So that's the issue for me now-deciding which direction to head and until then, what is best for all is the dilemma.

There are laws like that for foster homes and past a certain age, there MAY be laws that each child has it's own place to sleep, but not own room. Past a certain age, genders have to be separated. How many same-gender siblings share rooms? Tons and it's totally legal. You'll have to look up the law for your state.

seahorsebaby11
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Quoting sdunaway08: This is really a good and complete answer for my cause. It focuses on my confusion. How in the world could CPS come in and moderate where a child sleeps?!  That takes BIG BROTHER TO A NEW LIMIT!

By law you do have to provide a child of a certain age (different for each state) their own place to sleep. Whether or not they use it is a whole different story. If CPS were to come into your home they would demand that each child had their own bed (at least here they do, not sure about your state) but they can not and will not force the child to actually sleep in that bed. It just has to be provided.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Quoting seahorsebaby11:

Someone told me that by law children have to sleep in their own bed at 3 yrs of age.

Only in their own little fantasy land. Nowhere else.

I still find the notion stunning. Sure I find car seat, stroller and other places at all hours of the day an instant place for falling asleep commonplace.But today LO and I fell asleep while BF, which could be anywhere, couch, car, or bed.

I doubt we'll still be BF at 3 but in some ways that would be even more the reason for concern that it could be harder to get her to sleep than now. Have been almost no problems sleeping since the day after she was born. But once weaning and no BF starts, I have a hunch it will be a different story.

What do you think?

I think someone has you too worried. Take each day as it comes. There is NO law on where your child must sleep. Nor is it anyone's business. No one should know where baby sleeps unless they sleep in the same space.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)