Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

weaning help...

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:43 AM
  • 15 Replies

DD is going to be one on Dec. 2nd, tomorrow I'm suppost to hear back about a job. It would be 7-8 hour shifts, with her bedtime right in the middle. I nurse her, lay her down and she is out for the night. I still plan on nursing her during the day. How do I help her transition to not nursing before bed? Pumping isnt an option, it doesnt get a drop :(

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bellaamore
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Bump. Im going to wean my daughter completely soon, and have the hardest time at night. Im looking forward to the answers youll get.

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:48 AM
That's tough. I would have your husband or caregiver rock her. I'm not sure what rose works, my kids were all night nursers and refused bottles. I too had no pumping skills.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
usmc.momma
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:53 AM

Thats another issue. She is such a diva. Some days she loves her glider and others she pitches a fit.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

That's tough. I would have your husband or caregiver rock her. I'm not sure what rose works, my kids were all night nursers and refused bottles. I too had no pumping skills.

justone_jen
by Jen on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:55 AM
There's info on night weaning on Kellymom.com. I work nights and my little one is fine without the boob at bedtime, so long as I'm not around. ;) She falls asleep on daddy when I'm working during the week.
mamabens
by Miranda on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:49 AM

No need to wean, just let dad(or whoever is watching her) figure out how to get her to sleep with you not there.  It won't be easy at first but they'll figure it out.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't transition. Seriously. They do for others what they will NEVER do for mom. Just go to work. Dad can handle it. Indeed, he has to. **smile**

So... simply go to work. Do nothing else.

Mine always nursed to sleep when I was home, and had no troubles with going to bed for my mom during my business trips. And I was gone ten days at a time.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

Don't transition. Seriously. They do for others what they will NEVER do for mom. Just go to work. Dad can handle it. Indeed, he has to. **smile**

Mine always nursed to sleep when I was home, and had no troubles with going to bed for my mom during my business trips. And I was gone ten days at a time.

melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Yep.
Mine nursed to sleep when I was there and didn't when I wasnt

Quoting gdiamante:

jakesmom323
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:34 AM
The pediatrician said to transition bottles for the times needed to not BF. This will get the baby ready for those times when you are gone. If all else, just let dad deal with her. Lol. What can you do....really??? Give her a bottle and it should be fine. My son loves bottles as much as BF but I use nipple guards and they have the same texture. (not recommended for everyone. I have to use them)
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM

At this age you do not need to swtich to bottles of pumped milk. With all 3 of my kids, I could only put them  to bed, get them to sleep with nursing. However, Dad and Grandma had not trouble getting them to be without nursing or bottles. At that age DH and I would trade off putting DD to bed, and if I put her to bed she nursed, if DH put her to bed, he rocked her.

Yout don't need to do anything to prepare!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)