Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

More questions..35 week preemie (now 10 days old) and tongue and lip tied

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:35 PM
  • 12 Replies

Thanks to all the ladies that answered my last questions. 

So if she is lip tied, tongue tied, and was born a few weeks early do you think it is best to still supplement til I can get her clipped? 

Ever since I have been nursing more the past day she only is taking about a .5oz of formula if offered. Though honestly is she seems content I let her be and don't offer the bottle. I'm just worried that she is just not fussing because she was early. As for counting dipes how soon could I start counting after the formula to know if she is getting enough? 

Also I HATE pumping. If I used an SNS with her with her ties would it still be effective stimulation so I could stop pumping? Pumping 3 or so times a day is one thing but trying to get in 8-12 pumping sessions in 24 hrs is overwhelming.

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:41 PM
personally I would stay away from the formula....especially snce you are dealing with a premie and she is still so young. You dont want anything to interfer with your breastfeeding relationship. I would count diapers and if they seem a little low yoy can add a some suppliment with pumped breastmilk (you really dont need much).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomOfFish
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:16 PM
I really want to ditch the formula. I nursed my older two but this is all new territory to me.

Quoting Precious333:

personally I would stay away from the formula....especially snce you are dealing with a premie and she is still so young. You dont want anything to interfer with your breastfeeding relationship. I would count diapers and if they seem a little low yoy can add a some suppliment with pumped breastmilk (you really dont need much).

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:21 PM
would it help to take it out of the house? Also when do u get your baby clipped for the tongue tie?

Quoting MomOfFish:

I really want to ditch the formula. I nursed my older two but this is all new territory to me.

Quoting Precious333:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:23 PM
btw your baby is nursing from the breast as well? right?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomOfFish
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Quoting Precious333:

I nurse from the breast first always. If she seems content from nursing I don't offer a bottle. I keep as little formula in the house as possible. I had a whole 4oz in the house today and out of that she only took .5oz so far today. I try to pump when possible so always supplement with breastmilk if possible. 

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:44 PM
ok thats great that she is nursing from you! Remember that their tummies areso tiny.....so 4 oz is a whole lot! If you need to suppliment on top of nursing it needs to be a very small amount and I would use pumped milk...but if diapers counts are fine you may not need to give any pumped milk. I remember after my first was born and had jaundice. The doctors wanted me to give him 2 cc pumped milk after every feeding every two hours. It was not a lot of pumping and it was temporary. Maybe try without any suppliments for 24 hours nd see what the diaper count is (remember if its really wet it can be counted as two).

Quoting MomOfFish:

Quoting Precious333:

I nurse from the breast first always. If she seems content from nursing I don't offer a bottle. I keep as little formula in the house as possible. I had a whole 4oz in the house today and out of that she only took .5oz so far today. I try to pump when possible so always supplement with breastmilk if possible. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Start counting the dipes now. I'm with you on pumping... it's legal slavery! The SNS with the pump might be more helpful but do you have enough milk stored to use it in the SNS?

MomOfFish
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM
I would pump a few times a day still. I just don't want to have to pump constantly. Though since it seems I was told to overfeed her, how much do you think I should try to have for the sns?

Quoting gdiamante:

Start counting the dipes now. I'm with you on pumping... it's legal slavery! The SNS with the pump might be more helpful but do you have enough milk stored to use it in the SNS?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Start with an ounce. The idea is to get baby suckling.

collinsmommy0
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:15 PM
When are you getting it clipped? I agree with others - if the diaper count & weight gain is okay then you don't need to supplement.

I had to supplement with DS for awhile due to his tongue tie. I pumped 3 times a day for awhile, then twice, then eventually only once & he didn't need it anymore.

Acceptable weight gain is 4-7 oz per week for full term babies for the first 4 months. Lots if pedis want to see 7 oz per week - a tied baby will most likely not gain that amount, actually most bf babies won't gain that amount!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN