Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

formula

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM
  • 16 Replies
Whats the best way to add some formula to babys diet? I am having a hard time keeping up with pumping on the days I work. I will be changing to 8 hour days soon which I think will help but would like to be able to give formula with bm if I need to. And yes I know how much he should be eating
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabens
by Miranda on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

How old is he? If he's on solids I would just send what milk you can pump & let him  deal with that & water & solids. You could make up the difference in ounces you're getting in formula but NOT mix it with breastmilk if you want.  I just wouldn't send more than 10 oz total for an 8 hr day. If it were me personally though, I'd send what i can pump & encourage reverse cycling instead of giving formula. You can also get doner milk if you need it, which is what *I* would do before formula. (if reverse cycling didn't work.)

BabyFruit Ticker

devoesgirl
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:47 PM
He will be 5 months on the 27 th. Not on solids yet. I just want to know the proper way to introduce formula
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chillisarah
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Quoting devoesgirl:

He will be 5 months on the 27 th. Not on solids yet. I just want to know the proper way to introduce formula

On the days you work just send some formula along with the milk you can pump so that the babysitter can give it to baby.  I'm not sure if there is a proper way to introduce formula-it's just introduced, ya know.  If baby is hungry with the babysitter and it's there then more than likely baby will drink it.  I personally, would only limit the formula use to when baby is babysat and there is no more pumped milk.  When baby is with you, nurse only.

mamabens
by Miranda on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:57 PM

However much you're lacking in oz give him formula in  that amount.(for instance if you ahve 6 oz in breastmilk give him 2-4 oz of formula). there's really no introducing it, just give it to him & if he'll drink it good if not then you have to look at other alternatives(which I mentioned above). I would NOT mix it with breastmilk though because if he tastes the formula he could reject the entire bottle & waste all of that precious liquid gold. I would start witha  1 oz bottle & remember to not go bigger than 3 oz ever. (you probably already knew that though)

Chillisarah
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Quoting mamabens:

If it were me personally though, I'd send what i can pump & encourage reverse cycling 

Revese cycling is good advice too.  

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling/

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:01 PM
This :)

Quoting mamabens:

However much you're lacking in oz give him formula in  that amount.(for instance if you ahve 6 oz in breastmilk give him 2-4 oz of formula). there's really no introducing it, just give it to him & if he'll drink it good if not then you have to look at other alternatives(which I mentioned above). I would NOT mix it with breastmilk though because if he tastes the formula he could reject the entire bottle & waste all of that precious liquid gold. I would start witha  1 oz bottle & remember to not go bigger than 3 oz ever. (you probably already knew that though)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
devoesgirl
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM

To be honest, there's nothing to it. Put in bottle. Let caregiver give it. Done.

You need to be completely disassociated from the process; not in the room or the house when it's given for the first time. Baby will take it or not. "Not" is a frequent occurence, even if you mix with breastmilk (I wouldn't even do that because it's so often rejected outright and it wastes the breastmilk). If baby is hungry enough it will be taken. No infant will starve himself/

Quoting devoesgirl:

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM
Just give him some when it's needed, there's no real way to prepare ahead.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Just send what is lacking from your pumped amount. Don't be surprised if he won't take it though. It's kinda like giving buttermilk after sweet cream:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)